Login

Videos

Dibbuk (Dybbuk) Box

More
28 Oct 2012 05:46 #21 by Moonie
Replied by Moonie on topic Re: Dibbuk (Dybbuk) Box
Thanks iburyem !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2012 00:56 - 29 Oct 2012 14:15 #22 by iburyem
Replied by iburyem on topic Re: Dibbuk (Dybbuk) Box
Dybbuk /Box I know the coined term was just meant descriptive of the vessel in which they imprison the "evil spirit" , once living in human form and needs to parasite the living body of any living thing with the focus being mostly human... but can even be consumed by a grain of wheat. Dybbuk ( or non-christain demon), was a name given to the spirits around the time of Jewish Mysticism, and is supposed to be a once living persons soul.

I think it follows that it need not be a box, but any vessel in which can be sealed and usually mobile, hence the choice of a box to contain or lessen the powers of the Dybbuk. In theory it is a long of the same lines as you would treat a Christian possessed spirit, that has been contained. I do not think it was not common practice to find them contained.. but the story reminds me of a genie.

The only power is the power in which they believe it has, the best way to resolve any such feelings of a threat would be to bury it and return it to earth. I myself really am not a huge believer, in possesions as I think people are too easily confused between the disembodied and a spirit that never had a body as well as mental health issues.

I believe spirits can attach to objects that they possessed in their living life..with it being an object it may have something attached.

Some reference materiel that could be helpful :

Gershom Scholem, Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism
Joshua Trachtenberg, Jewish Magic and Superstition
Joachim Neugroschel, ed. Great Tales of Jewish Fantasy and the Occult

Not sure if that helps
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 14:15 by iburyem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moonie

More
27 Oct 2012 22:22 #23 by Moonie
Dibbuk (Dybbuk) Box was created by Moonie
Before I start, we all know the dibbuk box is a well known story that has had alot of attention due to the show Paranormal Witness and the movie Possession.

However it seems I can not find a whole lot of information about such an item other than the eBay story from Paranormal witness or that movie. I have looked up Jewish folklore about Dybbuks. It seems they are "unclean" spirits that possess people to seek revenge. Ok so got that part. But I still cannot find anything about a dybbuk "box". So why am I researching this? Well we have been in contact with a client (friend of a close friend) that claims they have one. That they found it when they started renovation on their current home. We go out tomorrow to get the preliminaries done for an investigation and see this claimed "dybbuk box".

Anyway...

Does anyone here know anything about these things?

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds

Features