Login

Videos

What Orbs Are Not 99% Of The Time

• Mark Shadley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2011 02:44 #1 by Mark Shadley
Replied by Mark Shadley on topic Re: What Orbs Are Not 99% Of The Time
When I got into the field of paranormal research, I was overwhelmed by the amount of people in this field who claimed orbs were paranormal in nature. I don't know how many videos and photographs I have seen as well as websites that devote their whole time to the explanation of orbs and their connection to the paranormal. The one thing that bothered me was the fact I never saw any of these groups provide proof of their claims!

I will state for the record, I am a skeptic. However, I am a skeptic with an open mind. I am willing to look at the facts and evidence. I will even experiment with a concept in an attempt to find the answers. I like many of you here have taken thousands of photographs and so far maybe one of those photographs depict anything that might remotely be paranormal in nature. I have quite a few photographs where I have captured orbs, but never once did I ever think for a minute those were anything other than dust, bugs, moisture, etc. There was just no evidence linking the two.

I began checking into this orb phenomena and found that many of the orb photographs came into vogue with the advent of the digital camera. Once the flash was moved closer to the lens, these cameras began to document this debris onto the media in the form of an orb. In fact an excellent website is the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena where they have a lot of literature on orbs.

Just because we investigate in locations that people claim to have paranormal activity taking place does not mean natural occurrences, such as orbs, can be construed as paranormal. If we make a claim that something is paranormal we had better be able to show that claim to be valid and backed by evidence properly collected and analyzed using critical thinking.

I have yet to see any evidence to change my mind that orbs are paranormal in nature. As I said earlier, I am an open minded skeptic willing to look at any possibility, but I am not so open minded that I let my brains fall out and accept any claim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2011 21:21 #2 by bluecup67
Thanks Crystal! What a cool analysis. That makes a lot of sense, thanks for looking at it. Definitely learned something from this! I tend to not believe orbs are anything but particles, though this one had me stumped.

Yeah we had good parties at that place. Now I work from home - not as fun to dress up in costumes! :P

More
11 Dec 2011 21:11 #3 by crystalcross
Welcome Bluecup, and thanks for uploading this. I really loved how you had two images only moments apart with a stationary camera. Kudos to you for excellent evidence there.

Here's what I'm seeing. For one this image WAS taken with a flash, you can see the reflection of the flash in the wood grain background of the image. And you can also tell that the flash was roughly at the same location as the camera itself. This leads to prime environment for what we call "Flash Orbs", or orbs created by the optical effects generated from flash photography.

So, having said that, I don't think its dust. In my opinion (and take it for what it is, just my opinion) I think the one on the left was caused by some tiny reflective object which came dislodged from the pitchfork. If you notice the two images which I've overlayed and matched the backgrounds on. The only areas which show motion are the ones where things moved. One thing that moved was you and the pitchfork. You first had it in an orientation closer to the person to your left (our right) and then brought it over closer to your body. The trajectory of that move every closely coincides with the location of the orb to your right (our left). And if you notice the motion blur on that particular orb indicates that when the flash fired and the shutter snapped, the object creating the orb was in rapid motion. I'm thinking it was a glitter particle, or dewdrop or some small reflective particulate which is creating a bright spot coming across as an orb in the flash.

The second orb over to the right, I believe to be caused by one of the links in the gentleman's chain. Between the two shots he moved ever so slightly which could easily have changed the reflective angle of one of the links in his chain/necklace. This can cause a flash reflective orb.

I must say though, interesting shot. Certainly looks like party I would love loved to attend.

See below for highlighted areas which I was discussing:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluecup67

More
11 Dec 2011 20:01 - 11 Dec 2011 20:02 #4 by bluecup67
OK! If this is the wrong place to post them just let me know. You'll see why it's all kind of ridiculous. These were taken in 2004 or 2005 and I am the one with the devil horns. First picture, no orb; second picture, blue orb on me. I felt like I should black out everyone's faces...

Edited to add: I'm not sure why the picture with the orb is smaller than the other, wish it were the other way around. I may have resized it at the time.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Dec 2011 20:02 by bluecup67.

• Steven Matrix
  • Steven Matrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2011 01:37 #5 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: What Orbs Are Not 99% Of The Time

bluecup67 wrote: Hey guys, question for you - I know that nearly all orbs are usually dust or a bug or whatever, but what about the bright blue ones? I don't even mean the usual looking orb with a tinge of blue, but a really vibrant blue one?

I hesitate to even post the picture here because it's so hokey - it was taken during an office HALLOWEEN party, lol. The odds of there being an actual ghost at my office Halloween party seem a little slim. Maybe someone had a sense of humor.

Anyway, it's a group shot - there's one with no orb and one with an orb seconds later - the orb is right in front of my right shoulder and appears to be in motion.

It doesn't look like dust (there is another regular orb in that photo though). But maybe it could be some kind of flare. I don't remember if the flash went off but it was inside. Should I post it? I need to block out everyone's faces but that would be the only retouching I'd do.

Go ahead and post BC. Just because we say that orbs are nothing 99% of the time doesn't mean that yours isn't part of the 1%. Crystal is very good at analyzing and may be able to tell you.

More
11 Dec 2011 01:00 #6 by bluecup67
Hey guys, question for you - I know that nearly all orbs are usually dust or a bug or whatever, but what about the bright blue ones? I don't even mean the usual looking orb with a tinge of blue, but a really vibrant blue one?

I hesitate to even post the picture here because it's so hokey - it was taken during an office HALLOWEEN party, lol. The odds of there being an actual ghost at my office Halloween party seem a little slim. Maybe someone had a sense of humor.

Anyway, it's a group shot - there's one with no orb and one with an orb seconds later - the orb is right in front of my right shoulder and appears to be in motion.

It doesn't look like dust (there is another regular orb in that photo though). But maybe it could be some kind of flare. I don't remember if the flash went off but it was inside. Should I post it? I need to block out everyone's faces but that would be the only retouching I'd do.

More
17 Nov 2011 00:45 #7 by crystalcross
Sounds like a great idea. If we can get it going before mid November I can likely include it into the next edition of the Newsletter as well.

• Steven Matrix
  • Steven Matrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2011 17:28 #8 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: What Orbs Are Not 99% Of The Time
Hey Rob:
In the future, we should get together for an article which includes the classic examples of non spiritual orbs; then follow up and end the article with those orbs which deserve attention, along with maybe a little merit.

• SkarletRae
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2011 05:18 - 18 Nov 2011 12:02 #9 by SkarletRae
Replied by SkarletRae on topic Re: What Orbs Are Not 99% Of The Time

crystalcross wrote: Well, If you see them with the naked eye then chances are there is more to the m than just dust or dirt, or flare or hair. That really is a good barometer if they are just something explainable or if there is more to them.

Would love to hear your theories though. Nobody really has any proven facts, since there really is not enough reliable evidence collected to be able to prove anything yet. But if we never try, we never succeed.

Last edit: 18 Nov 2011 12:02 by SkarletRae.

More
15 Nov 2011 22:39 #10 by crystalcross
Well, If you see them with the naked eye then chances are there is more to the m than just dust or dirt, or flare or hair. That really is a good barometer if they are just something explainable or if there is more to them.

Would love to hear your theories though. Nobody really has any proven facts, since there really is not enough reliable evidence collected to be able to prove anything yet. But if we never try, we never succeed.

Time to create page: 1.211 seconds

Features