Login

Videos

Haunted places charging paranormal groups

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Apr 2012 14:21 #21 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: Haunted places charging paranormal groups

bergenparanormal wrote: I have to disagree on this one. Sorry man.

These properties are privately owned, and are located on massive amounts of land. This does not come cheap for these owners.

Keep in mind, these properties are historic landmarks. Many of these sites have been vandalized, beat to shit and went on the public market for purchase because it was a loss for the states that owned them.

The states that put these sites for sale could care less if they were knocked down, and rebuilt as low income housing. The people that bought these properties have prevented that outcome, and preserved a piece of history that would have otherwise been destroyed.

The people that buy these properties do not owe you charity. In addition, the amount they're going to pay in insurance is a crime itself. With the growing increase in the paranormal, insurance companies are salivating.

I am not sure if any of you have had any true local historic landmarks in such jeopardy, but I've had two. One of these landmarks was knocked over and sold for real estate, and the other is facing the same fate. In all honesty, I truly hope someone purchases Letchworth Village and preserves it. Otherwise, that piece of history is lost among all the other great sites that have been destroyed.

My last point: If these places were ran strictly on the charity of the paranormal field, they would sink quick. How about thank the people that saw the beauty and unique qualities in these structures for allowing us to still have them today. If it weren't for them, Waverly Hills and Pennhurst could be the site of a new McDonald's.

Just saying..

While I understand your opinion Bergen, the fact remains that there are too many places across the planet that can be investigated for $0.00, meaning that our money would best be spent elsewhere.

While I hate to see any historic landmark torn down, the people that decided to buy these properties did it of their own choice; probably a very bad investment in the first place. The fact that they wanted to preserve these landmarks does not obligate the rest of us to fork out exorbitant amounts of money to assist them in their dream. If I really really wanted to go somewhere that I felt may yield some fun results, I have paid for it by going to the famously haunted Cassadaga hotel. We spent $150 to stay the night and had a great time paranormally speaking and will be going back. But it's open for business and offers you something for that $150.

If it's true that they're charging $150/person at Waverly and they're saying "if we don't charge that much per person, we'll have to let it be torn down", I say tear it down then. They should have counted the cost before pimping people for that much money. $150 just to step through the door is unacceptable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2012 13:48 #22 by bergenparanormal
I respect capitalism and capitalists. They buy these properties and have started a market. When it crashes it is on them and them alone. These sites are all destined for doom, it's obvious. However, they have taken advantage of free market and it's their right. They could care less what anybody thinks. They're people, not saints.

Also, you keep saying a few years ago these properties were free to access. I don't know how relaxed your state laws are, but in my neck of the woods walking on state owned property for "free" is called trespassing, unless you have consent which is generally difficult to obtain where I live.

These landowners have families, and bills of their own. It's no different than the owner of a business taking a bit more then he should for himself. It's their business. It's their own concept of self-preservation.

I just don't think there is any reason to act like these people have an obligation to us. For the moment, they're nothing more than smart short-term investors. They're feeding off the paranormal craze.

Also, I think you need to read my first statement again. I never said anything about preserving a location with condos. Obviously, that would not be the case. It would be the total opposite of preserving the property.

More
21 Apr 2012 03:39 #23 by ghostman50
honestly do you call making waverly hills into condos is preserving that location lol have no prob with anyone putting money towards fixing things up these people are pocketing alot of money here for themselves thats a fact the places you are talking will be torn down at some point anyway bc people will get tired of the same thing these places are money makers when you get these big name groups that come into places like this its free advertisment there selling out its a fact sorry but its true if you dont think these places are not making big bucks for themselves then you better start researching its all good though i respect the your opion

More
21 Apr 2012 02:54 #24 by bergenparanormal
I have to disagree on this one. Sorry man.

These properties are privately owned, and are located on massive amounts of land. This does not come cheap for these owners.

Keep in mind, these properties are historic landmarks. Many of these sites have been vandalized, beat to shit and went on the public market for purchase because it was a loss for the states that owned them.

The states that put these sites for sale could care less if they were knocked down, and rebuilt as low income housing. The people that bought these properties have prevented that outcome, and preserved a piece of history that would have otherwise been destroyed.

The people that buy these properties do not owe you charity. In addition, the amount they're going to pay in insurance is a crime itself. With the growing increase in the paranormal, insurance companies are salivating.

I am not sure if any of you have had any true local historic landmarks in such jeopardy, but I've had two. One of these landmarks was knocked over and sold for real estate, and the other is facing the same fate. In all honesty, I truly hope someone purchases Letchworth Village and preserves it. Otherwise, that piece of history is lost among all the other great sites that have been destroyed.

My last point: If these places were ran strictly on the charity of the paranormal field, they would sink quick. How about thank the people that saw the beauty and unique qualities in these structures for allowing us to still have them today. If it weren't for them, Waverly Hills and Pennhurst could be the site of a new McDonald's.

Just saying..

More
20 Apr 2012 00:05 #25 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Seems like big places like Stanley Hotel or Waverly might be one of those once in a lifetime type places to investigate if that is what you really LOVE to do. Definitely not the bread and butter of a group, especially when you have so many places that haven't been investigated yet.

More
19 Apr 2012 23:52 #26 by crystalcross
You bring up a good point, and I think that as we grow as a community here with the live investigations, it will bring some collective bargaining power.

But there are so many places to investigate, not to mention individuals who need help, that there really is no need to find a place you have to pay for.

More
19 Apr 2012 23:17 #27 by mcprs
My group, MCPRS, does not investigate at places that charge for an investigation.
I have no problem paying hotels that we investigate to stay there but that is about it. We already spend a lot of money as a group in order to investigate to begin with. Personally I would rather investigate at a place that no one, or not many, ever have before.
In my research looking for places to investigate I have come across some places that charge up to 1600.00 a night. They may have great activity but they definitely do not have the market cornered. The majority of places still do not charge.
As I said before, I would rather investigate a place that has never been investigated before and come up with nothing then go to one of these places that make it their business and catch something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iburyem

More
15 Apr 2012 05:43 #28 by iburyem
some of them will be torn down agreed.. I think the expansive amount they are asking is a bit much especially for groups.

I wonder how active the condos will be, might have to rent one for a month lmao j/k

More
15 Apr 2012 04:48 #29 by MIKE_EVP
iburyem hate to say it but most of these places are going to be torn down anyway with or with out paranormal invetigators this will die out sooner or later they will get tired of paying money to go back and fourth to the same places i do agree with donations with the up keep of some of these places but there are the ones out there that are making tons of profit off of this its a shame speaking of wavverly hills there planning on making condos out of this place lol so there is going to be alot of money made there

More
15 Apr 2012 04:32 #30 by iburyem
agreed @ crystalcross, there are fees associated with the large establishments.. they are being "pimped" in a sense.. but if it werent for the paranormal investigations, they would of been torn down.

I could imagine the taxes and bills for upkeep to preserve what is left.

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds

Features