Login

Videos

Pentagrams

More
08 Jan 2012 03:43 #11 by toco
Replied by toco on topic Re: Pentagrams
Good night all thanks for all the info......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2012 03:23 - 08 Jan 2012 03:30 #12 by Peek-A-Boo
Replied by Peek-A-Boo on topic Re: Pentagrams

"The Magen David (shield of David, or as it is more commonly known, the Star of David) is the symbol most commonly associated with Judaism today, but it is actually a relatively new Jewish symbol. It is supposed to represent the shape of King David's shield (or perhaps the emblem on it), but there is really no support for that claim in any early rabbinic literature. In fact, the symbol is so rare in early Jewish literature and artwork that art dealers suspect forgery if they find the symbol in early works.

Scholars such as Franz Rosenzweig have attributed deep theological significance to the symbol. For example, some note that the top triangle strives upward, toward G-d, while the lower triangle strives downward, toward the real world. Some note that the intertwining makes the triangles inseparable, like the Jewish people. Some say that the three sides represent the three types of Jews: Kohanim, Levites and Israel. While these theories are theologically interesting, they have little basis in historical fact.

The symbol of intertwined equilateral triangles is a common one in the Middle East and North Africa, and is thought to bring good luck. It appears occasionally in early Jewish artwork, but never as an exclusively Jewish symbol. The nearest thing to an "official" Jewish symbol at the time was the menorah.

In the middle ages, Jews often were required to wear badges to identify themselves as Jews, much as they were in Nazi Germany, but these Jewish badges were not always the familiar Magen David. For example, a fifteenth century painting by Nuno Goncalves features a rabbi wearing a six-pointed badge that looks more or less like an asterisk.

In the 17th century, it became a popular practice to put Magen Davids on the outside of synagogues, to identify them as Jewish houses of worship in much the same way that a cross identified a Christian house of worship; however, I have never seen any explanation of why this symbol was chosen, rather than some other symbol.

The Magen David gained popularity as a symbol of Judaism when it was adopted as the emblem of the Zionist movement in 1897, but the symbol continued to be controversial for many years afterward. When the modern state of Israel was founded, there was much debate over whether this symbol should be used on the flag.

Today, the Magen David is a universally recognized symbol of Jewry. It appears on the flag of the state of Israel, and the Israeli equivalent of the Red Cross is known as the Magen David Adom. "
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2012 03:30 by Peek-A-Boo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toco

More
08 Jan 2012 03:17 #13 by crystalcross
Replied by crystalcross on topic Re: Pentagrams
Haha, I guess I take too long to type. You guys beat me to it. :)

More
08 Jan 2012 03:16 #14 by crystalcross
Replied by crystalcross on topic Re: Pentagrams
Don't know all that much, but I do know that there are actually several versions of the pentagram.

For one, pentagram with the single point facing up, with or without the circle is generally a sign or symbol of the Wiccan faith. I'm sure there are others here who can embellish that definition a bit more than I can.

The Pentagram with or without the circle with the single point facing down, is generally a symbol connected with satanic, or demonic rituals. This is considered a sign of evil in some factions.

The Pentagram or five sides star without the circle was in the past used in Christianity as a sign of the 5 wounds of Christ. However, many of christian faith have moved away from that symbolism with the advent of the two above symbols.

And also the Pentagram in the Jewish faith is associated with the Star of David. This symbolism usually does not include the circle however.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toco

More
08 Jan 2012 03:15 #15 by Peek-A-Boo
Replied by Peek-A-Boo on topic Re: Pentagrams
"The Pentagram is a symbol of a star encased in a circle. Always with 5 points (one pointing upward), each has its own meaning. The upward point of the star is representative of the spirit. The other four points all represent an element; earth, air, fire, and water. All these things contibutite to life and are a part of each of us.

To wear a pentagram necklace or other form of jewelry, is to say you feel the connection with the elements and respect the earth.

Up until medieval times, the five points of the pentagram represented the five wounds of Christ on the Cross. It was a symbol of Christ the Saviour. Today the pentagram is criticized by modern Fundamentalist Christians, as being a symbol of evil.

The church eventually chose the cross as a more significant symbol for Christianity, and the use of the pentagram as a Christian symbol gradually ceased."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tresses Of Nephthys, Gem, Ghastly Girl

More
08 Jan 2012 03:14 #16 by toco
Replied by toco on topic Re: Pentagrams
Is the Star of David close to a Pentagram??

More
08 Jan 2012 03:12 #17 by RXRom
Replied by RXRom on topic Re: Pentagrams
I always thought upside down pentagrams were evil. I guess there might be certain ways in which to use the pentagram. I don't know.

More
08 Jan 2012 03:06 #18 by undertaker1
Pentagrams was created by undertaker1
I am a little confused in this matter and looking for a little knowledge. I have noticed that people have been wearing pentagrams (jewlery) and i always thought that this meant evil or hellish. I am finding out these people are christians and claim to have blessed them. Is this evil or non evil? Can it have diffrent meanings?

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds

Features