Login

Videos

Why Good Photography Is Important In Paranormal

• Steven Matrix
  • Steven Matrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2012 12:48 #11 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: Why Good Photography Is Important In Paranormal

Tresses Of Nephthys wrote: I could probably to get one to come in if I tried; getting rid of it would be another story ;)

You could buy a very cheap flash [40-$50] and use it as slave off camera. You would be able to sell it down the road; wouldn't be too hard if you hit the right market. I may even buy it if you didn't want it anymore :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2012 00:12 #12 by Tresses Of Nephthys
I could probably to get one to come in if I tried; getting rid of it would be another story ;)

More
03 Jun 2012 04:03 #13 by jmb12177
If having the flash above the lens is such a bad thing, they why do so many photographers use the hot shoe for a flash that sits above the lens, and not to mention, I have 3 cheap p&s cameras where the flash is not above the lens. Looking at cheap cameras in a store today, I noticed that all the cheap ones do not have a flash above the lens, makes it seem like it is the other way around. Besides, we are trying to be mobile photographers, were not shooting in a studio. Unless you have a way to get a ghost to come in for a studio shoot.

Sent from my 9810 using Tapatalk

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Jun 2012 02:12 #14 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: Why Good Photography Is Important In Paranormal

Tresses Of Nephthys wrote: If you are going to go with a Point & Shoot, anyone have any recommendations on how far away the flash should be from the lens? Also, I think my camera (p&s, about 6 year old sony) has a place to attach an external lens.

All P & S cameras have the flash directly above the lens. If yours has a hotshoe on it [place for flash], you may want to find out if you can get a cord which can be placed in that hotshoe and the other end attached to a flash. Your photos will be much better if you can go that route.

More
01 Jun 2012 22:34 #15 by Tresses Of Nephthys
If you are going to go with a Point & Shoot, anyone have any recommendations on how far away the flash should be from the lens? Also, I think my camera (p&s, about 6 year old sony) has a place to attach an external lens.

More
01 Jun 2012 15:38 #16 by jmb12177
Main reason I won't go with a dslr, is a lot of event that go to will not allow a camera with detachable lens, that's there rules, but if you pay attention to what your buying, you can get a p&s that can give you similar photos to low end dslr cameras

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 May 2012 18:47 #17 by Steven Matrix

Tresses Of Nephthys wrote: Thank you both for the camera reviews. Good even if you aren't looking to go use it for investigating. But I definitely agree, way too many people (not as much on GnH thankfully) really really, beyond all logic, want to believe that what they caught in a picture is paranormal and not what it actually is.

Good to see you Tress. Take our orbs please right? Lol. For me, a camera could be one of the few ways to capture a spirit in an image. I could be wrong, but I'm going to spend the rest of my life finding out.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 May 2012 18:41 #18 by Steven Matrix

jmb12177 wrote: I agree that understanding some basic photography is a must, (thinking of the many light trails, dust, and hair in photos that were not paranormal). But for many, a DSLR camera is just to far out of there price range, but a good P&S will do just as well assuming the owner takes a lil time to learn it. Like my cannon power shot, 12mp, and 12x optical zoom, the ability to control shutter speed, f stop, focus, and all the other goodies. What sets it apart from a DSLR is the lack of view finder, external flash hookup and raw.

I agree with some of what you are saying here jmb. Some will not want to spend the money on a DSLR and that's understandable. Many if not most have no interest in the photography side of the paranormal. Having said that, for the price of good P & S, you can get a cheaper DSLR [even used] and focus on buying interchangeable lenses, which would be the preferred method. Also, you now have the opportunity to buy a flash that you can place off camera. A P & S will never compete with a DSLR where you can add a flash or good glass [lens]. It also [at this time anyway] will not compete in the area of boosting the ISO [digital film speed] when the need arises.

One of the biggest problems with P & S cameras is the location of the flash, which is notorious for giving people the false sense that they've caught something paranormal, when 99.9% of the time they haven't. The P & S flash is also very limited in light coverage; so light falloff is a big issue.

More
30 May 2012 16:42 #19 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Thank you both for the camera reviews. Good even if you aren't looking to go use it for investigating. But I definitely agree, way too many people (not as much on GnH thankfully) really really, beyond all logic, want to believe that what they caught in a picture is paranormal and not what it actually is.

More
30 May 2012 06:41 #20 by jmb12177
I agree that understanding some basic photography is a must, (thinking of the many light trails, dust, and hair in photos that were not paranormal). But for many, a DSLR camera is just to far out of there price range, but a good P&S will do just as well assuming the owner takes a lil time to lean it. Like my cannon power shot, 12mp, and 12x optical zoom, the ability to control shutter speed, f stop, focus, and all the other goodies. What sets it apart from a DSLR is the lack of view finder, external flash hookup and raw.

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds

Features