Login

Videos

Why Good Photography Is Important In Paranormal

• Steven Matrix
  • Steven Matrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2012 16:29 #1 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: Why Good Photography Is Important In Paranormal

lynny wrote: so does this conclude you have never taken a picture that may have some kind of unexplained activity?

No, the last photo I posted on this thread includes an energy [white] coming in from the bottom left that only stayed for 3 frames. In my collection of photos on G & H, I have a pic from Tolomato Cemetery where Crystal Cross was reviewing and found people in a tree. There's also a photo in my collection from Micanopy Cemetery where there is a face super imposed over the face of a statue; so I will post unexplained activity at times. I also have other photos that have included faces; some I post and some I do not.

I normally will post photos where I felt energy at the time and a drawing to the area photographed; then I post the pic to take the viewers into the same scene where I was, which will hopefully be an experience for them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2012 15:36 #2 by lynny
so does this conclude you have never taken a picture that may have some kind of unexplained activity?

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2012 15:05 #3 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: Why Good Photography Is Important In Paranormal

Tresses Of Nephthys wrote: Comes down to the campaign against "orb" phenomenon :)

Which is why I encourage off camera flash [if one wants to eliminate orbs]. As we both know Tress, 99.9% of orbs are non spiritual; so better to put them out of their misery with good photographic techniques. If I get an orb with the techniques I use, that will get my attention. Lol.

At the end of the day folks, I'm not trying to tell you what to do and how to take a photo because "my way" is what should be followed. I'm only giving my opinion for those that want to make photography a part of their investigations and want to eliminate non spiritual items from the photo.

No matter what we all say here, there will still be people that come on the forum who will post orb pics, hoping it's something. On rare occassions, it could be, but I've already gone through my orb 12 step program and think that I'm rehabilitated. Lol.

More
05 Jun 2012 14:25 #4 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Comes down to the campaign against "orb" phenomenon :)

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2012 14:03 - 05 Jun 2012 14:58 #5 by Steven Matrix

jmb12177 wrote: Not all of us use our p&s camera's on auto, I take pictures in p mode, or program mode which let's me control iso 80 - 12800, (never went over 800 though) I can control the power of the flash and have it go off up to 3 time for each exposure and time the exposure to the flash, exposure compensation can be adjusted, I tend to keep the metering always set to spot. Along with custom shutter and aperture settings. I don't think I have ever used the auto mode. Never trusted the camera to decide. Have seen so many pictures with light trails from ppl who don't want to learn about photography, but yet with a decent p&s I see no point for some one to have to lay down the extra coin for a dslr.

Sent from my 9810 using Tapatalk

Maybe you could add 1 or 2 slaves/flashes to improve the image [less than $100]. The P & S flash alone is never going to give good results. You're already however giving it an extra kick by adjusting to a higher iso though, which is good.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 14:58 by Steven Matrix.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2012 13:57 #6 by Steven Matrix

lynny wrote: Great picture Steve, very knowledgeable! Unfortunately I can not see anything paranormal. Have you ever taken any paranormal pictures? If so I would love to see them posted here. So fare all I have read about all of your postings is what is wrong with the pictures and what you would do. Be nice to see some of your work in the paranormal Fields. Maybe the rest of us could get a better understanding on how to take paranormal pictures.

Thanks for your input Lynny. Not all of my photos have things in them that can necessarily be seen. I felt intuitively that I needed to photograph a certain area and I followed that instinct; so some of my work is to inspire others to go to places like the ones I photograph.

As far as paranormal photography goes, 1) there is no such thing as a paranormal photographer [in spite of what some say on other sites]; they don't exist 2) they don't exist because it is the spirits who decide what will be in your photo. I could have the most expensive equipment out there and you have nothing more than a $50 point and shoot. The spirit could give you a great photo and give me nothing. I at least want to have a good camera setup in the event the spirit trusts me enough to give me a photo.

The best thing I can say as far as giving advice on getting something paranormal in a photo is this: go by your gut/intuition and if you get a feeling of where to point the camera, then follow that inner guidance.

In the beginning, your intuition is more important than your equipment. Later, your equipment adds more in the quality of the photo that your intuition led you to get.

More
04 Jun 2012 19:58 #7 by jmb12177
Not all of us use our p&s camera's on auto, I take pictures in p mode, or program mode which let's me control iso 80 - 12800, (never went over 800 though) I can control the power of the flash and have it go off up to 3 time for each exposure and time the exposure to the flash, exposure compensation can be adjusted, I tend to keep the metering always set to spot. Along with custom shutter and aperture settings. I don't think I have ever used the auto mode. Never trusted the camera to decide. Have seen so many pictures with light trails from ppl who don't want to learn about photography, but yet with a decent p&s I see no point for some one to have to lay down the extra coin for a dslr.

More
04 Jun 2012 17:35 #8 by lynny
Great picture Steve, very knowledgeable! Unfortunately I can not see anything paranormal. Have you ever taken any paranormal pictures? If so I would love to see them posted here. So fare all I have read about all of your postings is what is wrong with the pictures and what you would do. Be nice to see some of your work in the paranormal Fields. Maybe the rest of us could get a better understanding on how to take paranormal pictures.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2012 15:51 - 04 Jun 2012 15:53 #9 by Steven Matrix

jmb12177 wrote: If having the flash above the lens is such a bad thing, they why do so many photographers use the hot shoe for a flash that sits above the lens, and not to mention, I have 3 cheap p&s cameras where the flash is not above the lens. Looking at cheap cameras in a store today, I noticed that all the cheap ones do not have a flash above the lens, makes it seem like it is the other way around. Besides, we are trying to be mobile photographers, were not shooting in a studio. Unless you have a way to get a ghost to come in for a studio shoot.

If having the flash above the lens is such a bad thing, they why do so many photographers use the hot shoe for a flash that sits above the lens…
Firstly, we’re talking apples and oranges when it comes to a point and shoot and a shoe mounted flash/dlsr combo. The shoe mounted flash has much more punch in power and will yield better results. Some photographers do mount the flash over their cameras , but the photographers at the top of their game use off camera flash [yes, I’m saying that those that use off camera flash are generally better than those who don’t]. A P & S flash will yield harsh straight on light and it’s weak as far as distance goes. With a shoe mounted flash, you can control the power output, the zoom [per the lens zoom range], as well as the equivalent iso speed. Cameras and flashes are dumb, meaning they don’t know what to do unless you tell them. I won’t rely on a dumb piece of technology to give me a hit and a miss in the final image.

I have 3 cheap p&s cameras where the flash is not above the lens. Looking at cheap cameras in a store today, I noticed that all the cheap ones do not have a flash above the lens, makes it seem like it is the other way around.
You’re right many p & s cameras have the flash to the side , but the results will be the same due to the proximity of flash/lens location. The flash will be on the lens axis and will still yield less than spectacular results. It’s always better to have the flash fire away from the lens.

Besides, we are trying to be mobile photographers, were not shooting in a studio. Unless you have a way to get a ghost to come in for a studio shoot.
People who use point and shoots really aren’t photographers because they tend to put the camera in auto mode, point, and shoot. There’s more that goes into real photography than pointing and shooting alone [iso speed, aperture, use of additional equipment, etc.]. In the end, it doesn’t matter what camera you use, it’s the spirit who decides if they’re going to be in the shot or not. I myself want the best possible setup in the event that happens. But during an investigation, photography is going to be what I do 95% of the time as the other things don’t interest me. With people like yourself [probably], you’re going to see photography as only a small part compared to everything else you do. With everything else that goes into an investigation, there’s little room or thought to photography. Now, if you want to use the P & S, there are things you can do to improve the shot. You could buy some cheap flashes that have a built in optical slave, so when the flash from the P & S fires, so will the flash(es). That way, the quality of the light will be much better and you won’t have to spend a bunch of unnecessary time trying to analyze a dark photo, because you’ll have plenty of light to see everything in the image. If this is something that may interest you, I can point you to a couple of places. Ebay is great for this, and the flashes are not only cheap, but they’re new. I’ve also done the research and the extra flashes I’ll be getting have gotten good reviews.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2012 15:53 by Steven Matrix.

More
04 Jun 2012 12:56 #10 by Tresses Of Nephthys

Steven Matrix wrote:

Tresses Of Nephthys wrote: I could probably to get one to come in if I tried; getting rid of it would be another story ;)

You could buy a very cheap flash [40-$50] and use it as slave off camera. You would be able to sell it down the road; wouldn't be too hard if you hit the right market. I may even buy it if you didn't want it anymore :)

Hehe I meant getting a ghost to show up for studio portraits :) Ending the session would be the tricky part.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds

Features