Login

Videos

EMF meters

More
26 Oct 2011 18:42 #11 by crystalcross
Replied by crystalcross on topic Re: EMF meters
Wow, you must be using the wrong model then. Mine has an arrow that points to the ghost, draws a picture of it and creates a direct neural channel so that I can hear what they're thinking.

You must have purchased last years model. :) :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2011 18:02 #12 by Jersey Paranormal Spirit Society
i think that a EMF meter is better suited as a debunking tool and not for actual ghost detecting.

More
26 Oct 2011 17:58 #13 by channelpirate
Replied by channelpirate on topic Re: EMF meters
I'd like to voice a counter argument if I may

The problem with most electrical gadgets is that they are intended for another use and, as such, people do not (a) know how to use them or (b) know how to interpret the results. Dust orbs are a classic example.

Going to the first post in this thread the simple emf meter is useful for ruling out effects from power cables. A simple walk round will show hidden fields, usually from electrical cables and can help in explaining odd feelings that are well known. In this way the meter goes to the source. During a vigil there is little point wandering around with it since any odd spike cannot be explained and, usually, not repeated. Its value in this way is therefore limited.

One emf meter I use is a MEL8704R. Its sole use during a vigil is to place it in an area and watch/film it. This is why I have the MEL since it has a red display that’s visible in the dark. Should there be a spike this would mean that the source has come to the equipment, far more value. It could of course be some electrical circuit that has turned on but at least we are then moving a step further forward.

I also use a Trifield Natural Meter. This does not register 240v but focuses on low dc voltage. You can prove this by moving the meter near a power cable. On sum you will get a very small reading but it needs to be almost touching the cable for this to happen. Since this equipment can detect changes in the earth’s magnetic field there is absolutely no point wandering around with this in your hand. Instead, as with the MEL it needs putting in a set place, calibrating and filmed/recorded. Any reading will be source coming to the meter. Since we can rule out 240v then whatever affects the meter must be something else. It is possible to move your hand over the meter to set it off but this is much lower than the readings that can be found during vigils

One other useful thing to note is that basic emf meters constantly display the field around them. Trifield meters register change, so that if a change is detected they react but do not continuously sound.

Now I don’t pretend that they are the answer but we must all be seeking a ‘whole real’ experience. I work in two groups with people who are sensitive but with the greatest respect to them they rarely move from the experiential to proof and then only when the details of spirits can be proved through research. What though about the times when they have a spirit with them and ask that spirit to move towards my Trifield, which then goes off. That to me is going down the route of proof and intelligent response, which in turn values the input from both of us, as well as the spirit concerned.

And finally, a spirit from the 16thC or even the 1900’s will not understand about the boxes. My experience though is that the communication that is established is based upon respect and trust. All I need is for a spirit to move towards ‘the box’ and I explain that it will make a ticking sound. I have found that spirits often find this fun and have on some occasions established a yes no dialogue this way. Some times though a whole night can go by without anything registering at all and that of course is their choice. If I can find time I will cut some footage from past reports and post this to show what I mean.

If we are to move forward though we need to do so together. I’ll try anything once and have wasted money on things that don’t seem to work as well as things that do. I absolutely believe dowsing works, and pendulums, and mediumship and so on. I just believe that to achieve the proof we all seek we need more than one way of demonstrating it. This is nothing new is it? How many invo’s have you been on when someone says that have spirit with them and ask them to tap something.

More
26 Oct 2011 16:05 #14 by Gem
Replied by Gem on topic Re: EMF meters
Absolutely - it is amazing that we now have equipment that can detect these things and that there is technology geared towards this area of research and study! It certainly is a way to bring the study of the paranormal forward.

More
26 Oct 2011 15:46 #15 by crystalcross

Gem wrote: ...but sometimes the shows seem more about the equipment that the spirits they are trying to find...

I think that is part of the problem. Hey, I'll be the first to jump on the equipment bandwagon, strictly because in order to capture indisputable evidence pure fact of the matter is that we have to deal within the physical world cause that's where most of us live exclusively.

But you're 100% right, it should never become the focus but rather a tool. The focus should first and foremost be to help the living and those who have passed. Dispute arbitration! Help those cross who need crossing. And as was brought up before here before, investigate in a way in which it minimally impacts the residents. (Living or Not)

But technology does have its place. Its all still very much an evolving field. And I think one reason you're seeing more people jumping on the bandwagon (aside from that its now plastered all over TV) is that its no longer a field of study in which you have to take someone's word for it. Now there ARE ways to document things, and more are starting to emerge constantly.

We're all just youngsters delving into an old question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gem

More
26 Oct 2011 15:33 #16 by crystalcross

Steven Matrix wrote: ...popular ghost hunting shows really get little to nothing in their so called investigations and more times than not; they spice up the appearance of the investigation...

I think you're right on the money there. Pardon the phrasing. Because I think most investigations PERIOD, be they on TV, off TV, or anywhere generally will not glean much in the way of physical evidence which can not be explained away by one means or another.

One of the reasons I tend to be so critical of evidence is because it in fact is just so very rare. But then very little that is good in live ever comes very easy. For me the hunt for evidence is part of the thrill, the discerning of the explainable part of the challenge, and the rare find of something indisputable the rare reward.

More
26 Oct 2011 14:03 #17 by Gem
Replied by Gem on topic Re: EMF meters
Agreed, I know that these shows want/need to 'prove' to people that they get findings by being able to show physical images and audio signatures and technology enables that, but sometimes the shows seem more about the equipment that the spirits they are trying to find - my 2 pence! (from the UK haha).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tresses Of Nephthys

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Oct 2011 13:48 #18 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: EMF meters

amoonwolfe wrote: Sorry, I guess I'm just too "old school." EMF meters seem to pick up more pollution from electrical systems, etc during investigations than genuine valid data. Way back when, my Dad used dowsing rods which seemed to ignore electrical pollution and home in on the phenomena he was seeking instead. Granted, more often than not, there was little or no activity happening, but when the rods got active, you knew you were in for a good time! I too, have chosen dowsing rods over the EMF meter as a way of paying homage to Dad's memory, as well as showing respect for the very souls who choose to communicate with us.
Imagine being a spirit from the 16th century being bombarded with frightening and unknown equipment. True communication occurs only when we show genuine respect for the spirits we encounter. Dowsing rods were used during their time on Earth and as a result pose no threat-logically, would it not make more sense to make those we seek to engage as comfortable as possible?

My thoughts exactly. I believe that even spirits from this century who know what an EMF meter is can operate beyond the capability of the equipment itself.

This also helps to support my theory that the popular ghost hunting shows really get little to nothing in their so called investigations and more times than not; they spice up the appearance of the investigation for ratings and $$$. Just my 2 cents.

More
26 Oct 2011 13:20 #19 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Replied by Tresses Of Nephthys on topic Re: EMF meters
I agree, amoonwolf, and that's something I was thinking about a while back. If a spirit is from the 19th century and before, they wouldn't have even heard of a telephone never mind know what to do with any of this equipment. Not to say it doesn't work because there's plenty of evidence to say it does, but I do think there are times where "old school" is the way to go.

More
26 Oct 2011 12:12 #20 by crystalcross

amoonwolfe wrote: Imagine being a spirit from the 16th century being bombarded with frightening and unknown equipment. True communication occurs only when we show genuine respect for the spirits we encounter.

Some of the most compelling reasons I've heard yet for using dowsing rods. Way to go!

Although I'm still a techno-junkie, you most definitely make a great point.

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds

Features