Login

Videos

× Welcome to the Ghosts & Haunts Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Tarot advice??

More
28 Jun 2011 09:39 #1 by MariaIgneri
Replied by MariaIgneri on topic Re: Tarot advice??
Very nice explanation. :) Mines are the the classy french and spanish ones. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2011 07:40 #2 by dannykinns
Replied by dannykinns on topic Re: Tarot advice??
Jolefay,

I would have to agree w/ you that the Rider-Waite is the easiest for beginner's, however I don't see many people look at a deck of cards just by suggestions. But yes, the R-W deck should be recommend but I seen others who did not like the R-W deck since they 'feel' they could not interpret well. Some would simply believe that other decks are more easier than the R-W version. Someone here in the site mentioned she preferred the Thoth Deck more easier to use than the R-W Deck.

I guess some people have different special needs. I know I started off with the R-W version, taken by suggestion and I would suggest it to others. But its entirely up to them to choose or not, thus, references and resources available in many books or online research.
I find R-W easier to read and as you mentioned, I am on the phase of finally searching for a deck that I am ready to feel 'connected' with after learning form the R-W type. (Althought I will still continue to use the R-W version for its splendid art. ;) )

As for others who wants to jump in and feel the deck without knowledge, let them. While others like me, where it takes time to learn and feel more acquainted with an educational deck, like to take it the longer way.

More
28 Jun 2011 01:49 #3 by Jolefay
Replied by Jolefay on topic Re: Tarot advice??
Universal Waite is Rider Waite=depends on where one purchases it. But being cheap at this point I would suggest getting some card stock and printing them out -sure you can even find the book online.

More
28 Jun 2011 01:38 #4 by Tresses Of Nephthys
LOL since I'm only 29 and pretty sure I wasn't taroting in the womb, nope no 30 yrs of tarot for me. A friend of mine picked up tarot when we were in hs and I was curious to learn. Being that there was no amazon then (or a comp in our house for that matter) and parents were certainly not going to bring me anywhere to get one, interest waned. Long story short, I am interested once again in picking it up, just didn't know diddle squat about decks. Danny you've been very helpful as well as whoever suggested the rider-waite tarot deck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dannykinns

More
28 Jun 2011 01:22 #5 by Jolefay
@Danny=Universal Waite Tarot is an ACTUAL deck that most beginners use. It was formerly known as the Ryder Waite Deck for those of us who have been doing Tarot readings for more than 20 years. It's what I teach people who want to do Tarot to use. BEFORE one "connects" to a personal deck learning to use the deck is important. That is why I recommend that particular deck for beginners. In my opinion people who have already learned the deck would not ask what deck to use. There is this thing called google--and I figure if one just wants a prettier deck to move to an intermediate level they would do it on their own without asking. Just my opinion. I could be way off base and Teressa has been doing Tarot for 30 years and just wants to gab.

More
27 Jun 2011 22:19 #6 by dannykinns
Tresses,

Ah, I hope it helped everyone out! And yes, they are all universal however there are also expert decks that may use different names/symbols/images. Including trump decks that can range from 80 - 225 cards. lol But yes, its all about how well you can connect to a type of deck. =)

More
27 Jun 2011 22:00 #7 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Oh Danny, thanks for answering the question I didn't realize I was asking or needed to ask. I didn't realize that the decks were universal. That clears things up a lot. You can see my confusion with looking through hundreds of decks thinking they were all different.

More
27 Jun 2011 21:34 #8 by dannykinns
Jolefay, indeed! lol I had my Rider-Waite for a long time now, and I am now seeking an upgrade to a more personal connection of a certain deck. And welcome to GnH btw! =)

More
27 Jun 2011 21:30 #9 by Jolefay
THE best beginners deck is Universal Waite Tarot Deck. The pictures are easy to decipher and an easy to understand booklet is included in the deck. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tresses Of Nephthys

More
27 Jun 2011 21:18 #10 by dannykinns
UT,

Are you talking about reference/definition book or just artwork books? I assume it may be reference/definition books.

Normally with all decks comes a small booklet for references as to meanings and definitions to the cards. But if you purchase a deck that is created by an independent artist, the set may or may not come w/ a booklet. But every deck is universal.

A regular Tarot deck comes with 78 cards : 22 Major Arcana & 56 Minor.

You can obtain Tarot card books at a local library or buy one at a bookstore, but whatever book it is; it all explains the same names & numbers with common meanings.

An example would be a comparison between two different themes, Native American deck and Rider-Waite:
(*Please note this example is based off on Laura Tuan & Sergio Tisselli's Native American Deck)

The Fool (Native Version) An image depicts of a wolf/man is walking alongside a small fox in the mountains.
The Fool (Rider-Waite) An image depicts of a young man in green uniform either walking off a cliff or walking by the cliff with a small white dog.

Those two versions have similar image resemblance but other decks may be entirely different and unique. But whatever it is, the Fool is Chinese, Native American, Italian, or any other cultural or unique themes (erotic art decks aren't always the case) will ALWAYS have similar definitions, its just up to the person who interprets it.

So UT, you can choose any book that breaks down the meanings of the Tarot cards and refer to it a long with your choice of your own unique deck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tresses Of Nephthys

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds

Features