Login

New Investigation

More
21 Jul 2012 19:52 - 21 Jul 2012 19:52 #1 by iburyem
Replied by iburyem on topic Re: New Investigation
Just also learned that Former President John Tyler expired there as well during the Civil War.

Well off to the investigation... when my crew have 100% figured out this new 8 camera DVR system, we will likely be doing live investigations down the line. :)
Last edit: 21 Jul 2012 19:52 by iburyem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2012 16:49 #2 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: New Investigation
Neat history. Good luck!

More
16 Jul 2012 02:21 - 16 Jul 2012 02:28 #3 by iburyem
New Investigation was created by iburyem
Excited for a new investigation coming up this weekend.

It is amazing how rich this area is for Civil War era related activity ( which is a new one for me)

I've been running down my list or traditional questions, and HATE when I go over evidence and think " I should of asked this, or should of asked that" so... if you guys want to throw questions out there, that I can burn into my brain prior.. kudos to you.

Here is a little history on the focus of our investigation this Saturday:

Name : The Exchange Hotel and Civil War Museum

Built : 1860 for Richard F. Omohundro

Until 1862 it was used as a Luxary Hotel along the Virginia Railway, and because of it location became a receiving hospital for both Confederate and Union Soldiers, it serviced/treated nearly 70,000 soldiers wounded and dying from nearby battlefields such as Cedar Mountain, Chancellorsville, Trevilian Station, Mine Run, Brandy Station, and the Wilderness were brought by the trainloads, a little over 700 soldiers were buried on the grounds of the Hotel. This hospital treated its patients with formulas made from homeopathic remedies that were supplied by the African-American, Monacan Indian, and mountain people who staffed the hospital.

Some hospital workers found the conditions so depressing that they were overcome with despair and took their own lives. The hotel/hospital had four confirmed suicides during the Civil War. Two were female nurses who lived in boarding houses on the grounds. A Quarter Master ( Mr Richarsds) had also killed his wife by stabbing her to death there.

In the reconstruction period, this hospital served the newly freed slaves as a Freedman's Bureau Hospital. As the United States healed and the railroads boomed, this graceful building returned to its role of hotel. Now fully restored, the hotel is a museum dedicated to the Civil War era, filled with medical instruments, weapons and uniforms of the soldiers

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2012 02:28 by iburyem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tresses Of Nephthys, Jack

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds

Features