Login

Arrowheads?

More
15 Jun 2012 16:53 #1 by Ghastly Girl
Replied by Ghastly Girl on topic Re: Arrowheads?
wow some people will get pissy over anything lol.. I found the small groove in the left rock interesting but.... I'll leave this one to the experts ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2012 00:46 #2 by kimmarie
Replied by kimmarie on topic Re: Arrowheads?
Sorry to say but they are just rocks. They most likely came down to your neck of the woods in a glacier. And as to the shape it's just were the rock fractured. All rock has a fracture line even a diamond. But it nice for kids to use to play make believe. :)

More
15 Jun 2012 00:27 #3 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Replied by Tresses Of Nephthys on topic Re: Arrowheads?
Wowzers...no need to get snippy, folks! Just asked a question, looking for opinions. All this fighting over me is very flattering and all but lets keep it to a dull roar (hehe kidding kidding).

Anyway, one vote for dumb rock, one vote for genuine article. Two votes for research. Anyone else?

More
14 Jun 2012 20:10 #4 by lynny
Replied by lynny on topic Re: Arrowheads?
you really think those are arrowheads or rocks what is there to research those are porous sediment rocks the indains werent low skilled at making arrowheads. they used non sediment rock DO YOUR RESEARCH.

More
14 Jun 2012 17:38 #5 by amoonwolfe
Replied by amoonwolfe on topic Re: Arrowheads?
:S Perhaps you should do some research before you start making such comments. I learned well the lessons of my elders and pass on their wisdom to those seeking answers.

More
14 Jun 2012 12:46 #6 by lynny
Replied by lynny on topic Re: Arrowheads?
unbelievable, they are just rocks

More
14 Jun 2012 04:02 #7 by Ghastly Girl
Replied by Ghastly Girl on topic Re: Arrowheads?
yup have to agree with everyone else here, certainly not arrowhead..most likely a skinning tool indeed but wow what an awesome thing to find in your garden haha

More
13 Jun 2012 14:51 #8 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Replied by Tresses Of Nephthys on topic Re: Arrowheads?
Thank you! Yes, the one on the right is roughly the size of my palm, and the more I handled it yesterday the more I thought there's no way this ever flew despite many pictures I found online of similar objects that were referred to as arrowheads. It does seem, like you said, either a skinning tool or digging tool. The other weird thing about it is it doesn't look like the other rocks I have around. I'm going to have to get a closer look, but it seems to have a lot of quartz bits embedded in it. Maybe the chipping process exposed them or this came from somewhere else. Thank you Amoonwolf for the advice. My daughter is a rock collector and she will be happy to know this rock had a use :)

More
13 Jun 2012 05:01 #9 by amoonwolfe
Replied by amoonwolfe on topic Re: Arrowheads?
Approximate dimensions would be helpful. If the one on the right is about the width of the palm of your hand, it's most likely a hide scraper which was used in the preparation of animal pelts. These were also used to prepare furrows for seeds which require a shallow depth -most herbs and flower seeds. Creating the shallow forrows for planting was usually accomplished by the children as a way to help them connect with and show reverence for the Earth. similar stone tools were also employed to remove the tender bark from small diameter green sticks used in cooking. Hope this helps you out. Try letting your 5 year old make a garden furrow using one, it will be a fun and informative shared experience/ritual activity.

More
12 Jun 2012 23:01 #10 by iburyem
Replied by iburyem on topic Re: Arrowheads?
honestly I havent a clue, but they are cool

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds

Features