Login

Videos

October 13th-BHPI Investigates Lead Opera House

• Mark Shadley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2012 20:55 #1 by Mark Shadley
Replied by Mark Shadley on topic Re: October 13th-BHPI Investigates Lead Opera House
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to throw out a big thanks to everyone who took time out of their busy lives to watch our team on the live feed at the Historic Homestake Opera House this last Saturday. I also want to throw out a THANK YOU to Rob for allowing us to stream live on the site. It means a lot to us and we really enjoy interacting with everyone during our investigations. It is great fun to be able to answer your questions about our team and the location we investigated. There were some great questions and I personally enjoyed the interaction.

We at BHPI plan on more of these events and hopefully we can bring you just as exciting locations in the future. Thank you all again for your support and the extra eyes! And, to those who were hardcore enough to hang in there to the end!

Mark Shadley,
Lead Investigator, Historical Researcher, Author
Black Hills Paranormal Investigations

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2012 18:03 #2 by BHPI Josh
It's going to be stellar. We had experiences while on the walk through so we hope it continues for us!

More
08 Oct 2012 13:37 #3 by iburyem
Wow... looks like it will be an interesting investigation! We will be getting back from our walk through at an investigation where the police called us in to investigate.. BUT I WILL be tuning in via mobile for sure!

More
08 Oct 2012 00:10 #4 by BHPI Josh
UPDATE-
Folks, we had our walk-through of the BEAUTIFUL Lead Opera House. This place is absolutely MASSIVE! The main floor of course is the Opera House/theater(with a balcony). Then there are 2(yes TWO) basements. One used to house a bowling alley and the other basement had a swimming pool. Now the basements are storage and offices. We will be covering the opera house/theater and main floor with our DVR cameras. This will be a big investigation with all of our team present. It will also be a fairly late start. I'm going to try and have the live chat covered around 9pm MST. We have to abide by our client's hours of availability hence the late start time. We're looking forward to it, here's a couple pics of the place as well. The exterior and interior of the theater. The photos may be a little fuzzy due to them being from my iPhone and it being dark inside at the time. I'll try and find a couple better pics!
Attachments:

More
03 Oct 2012 00:02 #5 by kctkd
You have some really cool places up in South Dakota. If we are available that night, we will definitely watch. From having seen your prior live investigations, I know you will all do a great job. Good luck Josh!!

More
01 Oct 2012 02:09 #6 by iburyem
wow! Sounds like an awesome place to investigate!!! Cannot wait!

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Oct 2012 01:19 #7 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: October 13th-BHPI Investigates Lead Opera House
Nice.

More
30 Sep 2012 15:49 #8 by BHPI Josh
Folks, as previously announced, BHPI will be investigating the Lead Opera House on October 13th. This will be a live investigation and we are very excited. Our walk-through is slated for October 6th and I will have more info about the locale then. From what we understand, this place is MASSIVE. Here's the most interesting bit of info we've gathered about the history so far.

In late September of 1918, the Opera House played an unforeseen role in the tragic Spanish influenza epidemic. Beginning in the Rapid City area, the disease quickly spread throughout the Black Hills communities, forcing the Health Department to place a closing ban on all theatres and churches. The Homestake Opera House held its last performance on November 5th and remained closed until January of the following year.

On October 11th, 53 cases of influenza were reported in Lead, with over 500 cases being reported by October 21st. Because the doctors and nurses were not available in sufficient number to effectively treat the large number of sick scattered throughout the city in private homes, it was decided to convert the Homestake Recreation Building into an emergency hospital. Beds, bedding, and other necessary equipment were quickly gathered from numerous sources, and the newly-converted “hospital” was ready for use. Dr. Mattox of the Homestake Hospital staff was placed in charge of the new facility.

The number of patients continued to increase until there were 1510 being cared for in the Opera House and Recreation Building. The stage, aisles, and all other available spaces were filled with beds, the theatre lobby itself being used as a pneumonia ward. According to a statement to the Call by Dr. Mattox, “The emergency hospital had 69 cases of pneumonia, of which 30 recovered, a remarkably high percentage of recoveries.”

The Lead Opera House reopened January of 1919 after being thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. Look forward for more info soon!!

Time to create page: 0.390 seconds

Features