Login

Videos

tv influence on paranormal investigating

More
24 Jan 2012 08:27 #1 by Melbelban
oh lol not issues investigating, I don't really do it. But some have relevant information on "what the hell was that." for me anyhow. Tv not that bad you either like it or lump it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2012 06:04 #2 by LeslieAValentin
I rarely watch any of the shows these days, but I did at one time, as each premiered and such, watched for a few weeks on each to see what was being said and portrayed.

I, like some others, have been doing this long before there was ever a "market" for paranormal reality television. Actually, it was still a very taboo thing to even mention much less do when I started. And, more often than not, you were deemed as "Crazy" and other descriptive verbs.

Do I think the shows are a detriment? Well, I suppose it is in the angles you choose to look at the show on. Do I agree with everything I see and hear on the shows? Absolutely not! There are many things I do not agree with actually, but perhaps I'll write about that side at some point in another forum or chalk it up to an article.

Anyway, like anything in life, you need to look at the whole thing - not just one side. Then, weed out all the BS and understanding that "Hollywood" has their fingers touching these shows, and find credible statements or other potential evidences collected. But finally, one must remember that these shows are on television purely for entertainment purposes and at the end of the day, for the amount of viewers had, er-goes the paycheck to the executives bank account.

Remember, just because you watch it on television, read it in a magazine or hear it on the radio does not mean there is 100% truth in what you said or written.

Not all investigations produce "evidence" and/or ghosts. What is on TV is back to back haunts for the most part...with a few "we're not convinced" statements in between.

As Arthur Freed said in his 1974 song, "That's Entertainment"!

More
24 Jan 2012 01:00 #3 by Ghastly Girl
I think it is a good and bad thing... and that it really depends on the person viewing it. I personally love those types of shows as they really catch my interest as far as investigation techniques, locations that they visit, and so on. I really don't get into sitcoms or anything but prefer more educational or historical shows ( yes, I am a huge dork haha) "ghost shows" are kind of the more entertaining ones for me as you have to take most of what happens with a grain of salt.

However, I think that some individuals see these type of shows and get the wrong idea about ghost hunting. They think it is a way to quick glory and fame. I recently left a group that was this way. They were already planning to try to have ghost adventures come out, trying to get their own television show, and creating a fan base that they themselves stated they "didn't care about they were just there to make them look good" Naturally, as more of a historian than famewhore this really turned me off to the group. Recently, since creating my own group and doing a large amount of research on the small island we live on I have found many instances in which this group did not do any research and provided completely wrong "sensationalized" infomration on locations.... which as a ghost hunter and historian I find disgusting.

So yeah i think good and bad... you get what you want out of everything though I guess.

More
24 Jan 2012 00:03 - 24 Jan 2012 00:56 #4 by Peek-A-Boo

TressesOfNephthys wrote: The psychic investigation shows mean more to me than ghost hunting shows imho.

Me too, that's why I enjoy Dead Files. Amy Allan is a paranormal researcher, physical medium and psychometrist. Her abilities have been studied and tested by leading parapsychologists and she’s worked with many private investigators and police agencies.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2012 00:56 by Peek-A-Boo.

More
23 Jan 2012 23:58 #5 by Tresses Of Nephthys
The psychic investigation shows mean more to me than ghost hunting shows imho.

More
23 Jan 2012 23:54 #6 by crystalcross
For myself, I would have to say that I'm actually very glad for the role which network television and the pioneers on TV have played. I'm not taking a single bit away from those of us who have been in this before TV ever heard of it, and those who will be in it long after the fad goes away. And I'm not even factoring in the intent that any of the TV's shows did or didn't have in producing their shows. Whether they sensationalize, realize, or even stigmatize does not play into my opinion. The only thing I am looking at is that thanks to the popular TV shows, paranormal investigators are no longer looked at as if they had a third eyeball popping out of the top of their head. Also the general public no longer snickers and says "what a bunch of crack-pots".

Acceptance has gone from the upper single digits to the middle to upper middle double digits. Where a few years ago perhaps 8-9% of the general public accepted the paranormal research field and mediums with validity, now 50%+ of the general public has heard of and recognizes paranormal research as something viable and perhaps even "Cool". Perhaps some still do so secretly and without announcing it, but they still do to some extend believe in it.

So if for no other reason, that alone is enough for me to be thankful that they exist. Granted we now have an entirely different set of things to deal with such as Paranormal tourism, and individuals "trying" stuff without proper precautions and respect but at least we are moving in the right direction.

More
23 Jan 2012 21:30 #7 by spookydave
Going to play Devils Advocate here.
Call me old fashioned, but, probably like a lot of other members, I was doing this stuff way before the media hype took hold and we got to saturation point with reality TV. I do enjoy watching the shows, purely for entertainment. as I cannot take them too seriously as a legitimate scientific experiment. I would dearly love to proven wrong however and remain open minded to any evidence presented.
One thing that the TV has had a marked influence on is making the paranormal far more accepted and accessible in the eyes of the general public. On the downside, it has also created a unstoppable and cynical money making machine, which I do feel particularly uncomfortable with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BTV75

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 20:57 #8 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: tv influence on paranormal investigating

Melbelban wrote: I think that they have had a major influence on the whole "investigating" scene. I tend to agree that some showa jump to the "OMG it's a demon run run!" theory to much. As entertainment I enjoy them all, and some of them have helped me come to terms with my own issues.

But I don't think your missing out on much. :kiss:

If I needed to make out a list of "what not to do", I'll tune in on a Wednesday night to see the popular so called "experts" in action. In fact, if memory serves correctly; the channel that carries them announced for the first show of the season it was their most terrifying. Really? Didn't you say that last year stupid?

More
23 Jan 2012 09:20 #9 by Melbelban
I think that they have had a major influence on the whole "investigating" scene. I tend to agree that some showa jump to the "OMG it's a demon run run!" theory to much. As entertainment I enjoy them all, and some of them have helped me come to terms with my own issues.

But I don't think your missing out on much. :kiss:

More
23 Jan 2012 01:05 #10 by Tresses Of Nephthys
I think you could definitely learn all you needed to know through your own research, but at the same time, I also think there are a few shows that may benefit you that people here could recommend. At any rate, watch with a firm grip on that grain of salt. Always rely on your instinct, experience and intellect more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shenshen

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds

Features