Login

Videos

Folklore Investigations

More
10 Jan 2012 16:05 #1 by Ghastly Girl
Yup the same is very much true for eastern mythology and religion as well actually.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2012 16:01 #2 by kirlybab

I think sometimes I have more of a love for folklore and mythology than ghosts lol.

I have read up on mythology a little as it works into my Wiccan practice. Mythological deity names are some of the names that the deities specific to certain types of spells answer to, or are sort of IMed by in a metaphysical way. It is like flagging it for that specific deity energy.

They also use common names from other religions. I know I call on the deity Christopher when I am doing blessings for people traveling.... Saint Christopher is the patron saint of travelers in the Catholic religion.

Just thought I would throw that out there as some interesting info on the subject of mythology.....

More
10 Jan 2012 15:55 #3 by Ghastly Girl
As a student of anthropology I think sometimes I have more of a love for folklore and mythology than ghosts lol. Okinawa has some fascinating folklore that grew from the culture that widely depended on farming and fishing to survive, and was hit yearly by violent typhoons. Also, due to its location within the ryukyuan archipelago the island of Okinawa has an interesting mix of Shinto, Buddhist, Taoist, and Chinese folk religion beliefs...although they do have their own religion native to the island that follows a more shamanistic or animistic belief system and interestingly sees women as spiritually superior which is rare. However, as 90% of the island was utterly destroyed with the Americans landing on the island in ww2 and from the subsequent battle that took place here that tends to overshadow a lot of other things in the paranormal community here which is understandable but sad as the island had such a rich history dating much farther back than 1945.

To my knowledge though, the only reports that I have come across include seances to speak with ww2 era soldiers. I do plan in the future to make the investigation into the folklore of the island a part of many of my group's investigations as I think it has a large part to do with the "cursed" feel on the island and has always been something I have had a keen interest in taking a further look at :)

More
10 Jan 2012 15:48 #4 by kirlybab

HauntedSomerset wrote: I love folklore. I think that there is always a little bit of truth that people have either added or taken away from over the years to either make the story more exciting or entertaining. .

I totally agree. It is like that old "telephone" game I used to play as a kid. As the story goes down the line, it is changed by the way people interpret it or even to enchance the subject.

I think that, the older the folklore (or sometimes refered to as Urban Legend or legends) the more it has been enhanced or changed.

I always wanted to collect and write about local folklore, but I have never really encountered anything specific to my hometown. I totally love the "Weird ___" books, where they put in a particular state. While I was in MO I picked up the one on MO and found that a lot of the things in it happened close to where I lived....

Of course, a lot of freaky stuff seems to happen close to a small town, and the town I lived in only had about 1700 people.....

More
10 Jan 2012 11:20 #5 by HauntedSomerset
I love folklore. I think that there is always a little bit of truth that people have either added or taken away from over the years to either make the story more exciting or entertaining. Someone on here mentioned Spring Heeled Jack the other day, I haven't looked a lot into it, but I keep running into actual Victorian newspaper cuttings about it.

More
10 Jan 2012 04:01 #6 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Good point really. I think the more we look into these creatures the more that we would be able to try to make contact with something not familiar to us.

More
10 Jan 2012 02:47 #7 by RXRom
I know many of us hear of old folklore tales like La Llorona, the tallman, or what ever folklore that has been told in your town. I was just wondering if any paranormal investigator, Psychic, medium, has ever done an actual reading or sensed if the stories were ever true or just made up to scare the living shit out of us. I'm just asking i'm sure many of you would say "boring" or what for? but I just wanted to see if there was any truth to it. :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds

Features