Login

Videos

History sometimes helps answer our questions.

More
29 Sep 2011 12:42 #1 by Keith
Steven Matrix,

Could not have said it better. Thanks.

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2011 00:27 #2 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: History sometimes helps answer our questions.

Keith wrote: Steven Matrix

Thanks for the reply. Where I grew up the sign down the road said "Turn around you are lost." We lived a mile past that sign. Just kidding of course. But exploring was about all there was to do there back then that and fish the creeks. Later I noticed the neighbor’s girls were really cute but that is for another discussion.

History is more than years on a calendar. History is lives lived. When we finally learn that, we begin to realize how important our lives are and we work hard to contribute to the history we will leave behind.

Let’s leave a legacy of knowledge about the Paranormal behind for others to learn of. It is after all part of our History.

Keith

What I wanna know first Keith is about the neighbor girls. Lol.

I totally agree with your take on history. Most don't think about what they will contribute; but are programmed to go along with what's been placed before them in order to follow.

Regarding leaving a paranormal legacy; I completely agree. Sadly, a legacy will not be left by any of the paranormal TV shows we see, nor will there be a legacy from the thrill seekers and paranormal adrenaline junkies. They do nothing but create clones of themselves.

Legacies are created by pioneers. That is their history.

More
28 Sep 2011 23:44 #3 by Keith
Undertaker1

Thanks for the words and thoughts left.

You're right History is stretched all the time. Have you ever traced your roots? Census records are public records but after finding my lineage thru the census papers of the times I realized they were often misspelled and sometimes left out completely. The News Papers are usually a good place to look although they often only report what the editor of the paper decided was newsworthy that day. I have a friend who traces lineage and asked her to do my history. She was very thorough and had cross checked as much as possible finding errors here and there she also found that my family bible was very accurate in as far as births and deaths went but she found three families left off or out of the family bible... Apparently they didn't make the grade in the keepers mind... LOL

Anyhow History follows us... sounds like a dumb statement but when you read a letter printed in a News Paper written by a long past relative about the loss of a loved one on a Battle field in WW1 it brings reality to the stories old granny use to tell.
Before written history, all there was, was the family historian or family story teller. YUP, embellishments expected... LOL But hey family history is Family history. LOL

Keith

More
28 Sep 2011 23:26 - 21 Oct 2011 12:21 #4 by Keith
Steven Matrix

Thanks for the reply. Where I grew up the sign down the road said "Turn around you are lost." We lived a mile past that sign. Just kidding of course. But exploring was about all there was to do there back then that and fish the creeks. Later I noticed the neighbor’s girls were really cute but that is for another discussion.

History is more than years on a calendar. History is lives lived. When we finally learn that, we begin to realize how important our lives are and we work hard to contribute to the history we will leave behind.

Let’s leave a legacy of knowledge about the Paranormal behind for others to learn of. It is after all part of our History.

Keith
Last edit: 21 Oct 2011 12:21 by Keith.

More
28 Sep 2011 22:13 #5 by undertaker1
Awsomne story. I believe history is the utmost important when investigating. This can help you in many ways. Not just the paranormal history but all the way back as far as you can go. The history may vary so public records are best because we all know how stories get stretched everytime it is told. Thanks for sharing.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Sep 2011 13:14 #6 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: History sometimes helps answer our questions.
That's a great story Keith. Overall, the white Europeans didn't do the native Americans any favors by coming here centuries ago. The natives would have lived perfectly without them. However, it sounds as if your ancestors had the type of heart that appealed to the Mohawks and they trusted your ancestors. That says a lot.

More
27 Sep 2011 11:43 - 27 Sep 2011 11:55 #7 by Keith
I grew up in an Area where the Mohawk Native Americans lived for centuries before we came into the picture. They were deeply involved with the energies of the earth and I know of their sacred grounds one I dubbed Pine Tree Point. The area is a 100 foot high plateau of cliffs cutting a hidden valley nearly in two. I never understood the strong feelings I had gotten there as a young explorer but as I learned the history of the area by the old people of the area I soon realized the entire area around the point was a place of worship for the Mohawks.

The old fire pits were still there, and on a clear sunny day as I sat there absorbing the beauty of the place I could smell the smoke apparently trapped in the trees around the area. A Mohawk burial ground was about two miles from the point that I was told of where the land around it had been cleared for crops but the burial grounds carried a strong unseen warning of “stay away” in the very air around it, no doubt it still is there today all these decades later. The locations I was told to never divulge and here a half century later I have never showed anyone and never will.

On the edge of the hidden valley a mile away on a small hillside is an old cemetery of the settlers of the area that lived in harmony with the Mohawks and traded and worked the soil with the People of the Mohawks. That cemetery has over fifty graves in its make-up and all there are direct descendants of my family I was later to find.

At 67 years old, an aunt talked about our old families Cemetery that she had searched for, for 35 years. She talked of the area I grew up in and at that point I knew of the cemetery but never walked thru it because I never wanted to disturb the ancient people who rested there. As she described our families old homestead settlement I began to realize I knew where the homestead and Cemetery was. Old stone foundations all but hidden over the centuries by nature’s years of undisturbed touch are yet there today.

I told her I knew of a cemetery in the woods a half mile from the road and of the old foundations of the homes. She asked me to take her there. I did and sure enough it was filled with all the names in the old family's bible. We walked thru talking pictures and talking about the stories of our old people she had listened to as a child herself. I felt at ease there after that and have been back a few times. The newest dated stone was 1898. Oddly enough that was the same year my Grandmother was born and the mother of my aunt standing there for the first time in her life.

My Aunt has passed on now and rests with her husband in Vermont but I know in my heart she rests a little easier knowing where our old family Cemetery is located.

Keith
Last edit: 27 Sep 2011 11:55 by Keith.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds

Features