Login

Videos

Kunta Kinte and Plantation

More
01 May 2012 00:55 #1 by shell369

iburyem wrote: I have no idea, both my daughters say off the wall things lol. She knew we were looking for an old farm and that is it. She was with me when I was taking the photos.

LOL, looks like you may have 2 future ghost hunters on your team a few years from now :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2012 00:50 #2 by iburyem
I have no idea, both my daughters say off the wall things lol. She knew we were looking for an old farm and that is it. She was with me when I was taking the photos.

More
30 Apr 2012 13:56 #3 by shell369

iburyem wrote: I wanted to really sit there and focus while, there, but my children had other plans in mind... my daughter ( whos 3) kept saying that a lady lived/died there... lol and kept wanting to climb the gate.. so no focusing time there for me.. will try to walk the road/area on a dry day.

i know there is a river very near here... i need to go near a fork in the river is all I know.

Wow, why would your 3 yr old say that? Were you talking about the place in front of her or something?

More
23 Apr 2012 16:39 #4 by iburyem
Replied by iburyem on topic Re: Kunte Kinte Plantation
I wanted to really sit there and focus while, there, but my children had other plans in mind... my daughter ( whos 3) kept saying that a lady lived/died there... lol and kept wanting to climb the gate.. so no focusing time there for me.. will try to walk the road/area on a dry day.

i know there is a river very near here... i need to go near a fork in the river is all I know.

More
23 Apr 2012 16:10 #5 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Hmm, I got a weird smell when I saw that last picture. Damp, mossy earth-type smell. Swampy.

More
23 Apr 2012 15:46 - 23 Apr 2012 15:53 #6 by iburyem
Replied by iburyem on topic Re: Kunte Kinte Plantation
I am going to check out the "Slave Block" which is supposedly still there, where they would take slaves to be sold ( how sad!)I drove by Wallers Rd, which is supposedly along the field in which Kunta Kinte lived and was buried.

I was able to talk to a few people who lived on the road, and it was confirmed through them.

I took some shots of an old farm on the land.... I hope I can get the property owners permission to enter... would be awesome!

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Apr 2012 15:53 by iburyem.

More
23 Apr 2012 14:01 #7 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Gosh I can't think of Kunta Kinte without seeing LeVar Burton :P

Maybe you can see if your library has the original book Roots and give it a read? It is supposedly taken from an oral history given to Alex Haley by his aunts. Hopefully that would help you research without having to deal with Hollywood over-dramatization.

More
23 Apr 2012 12:24 - 23 Apr 2012 17:07 #8 by iburyem
investigating Kunta Kinte-I found out my new summer cabin is just down the road from the plantation where he was enslaved and field in which Kunta Kinte was buried, I am not sure if they will give me access tot he old plantation home, but I am sure doing some evp sessions even at roadside, could possibly turn something up.

Honestly, I am not from the south, and I have had little experience trying to contact slaves, so lets see how this should go.

I'm brushing up on the history as some has been distorted for glorification purposes for t.v. and such...

Anyone have any suggestions as to possible ways in which could yield better results in this investigation? Or any specific questions you would like me to ask?

I will also be visiting the "slave block" where they sold/traded slaves back in the day, supposedly its still very near the old plantation.

Kunta Kinte - Wikipedia ( yes, I know wiki isn't the knowledge god :P )
Last edit: 23 Apr 2012 17:07 by iburyem.

Time to create page: 2.088 seconds

Features