Login

× Polls are enabled in this Category. What does that mean to you? It means that when you create a new topic here, you can click the little icon with the multi-colored bar graph lines. This will allow you to enter your poll questions.

Photo and Video Commenting System

More
09 Jan 2012 04:13 #1 by crystalcross
In theory, thats correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2012 04:04 #2 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: Photo and Video Commenting System

crystalcross wrote: Actually, I think I have an answer to the issue.

When you create your new Album, Group or Upload your photo. Make sure to select "Allow Comments [No]". That way, the photos will still be presents but the commenting engine will be disabled for that photo or that group.

So if I do that, the photo won't go in the discussion forum?

More
09 Jan 2012 04:01 #3 by crystalcross
Actually, I think I have an answer to the issue.

When you create your new Album, Group or Upload your photo. Make sure to select "Allow Comments [No]". That way, the photos will still be presents but the commenting engine will be disabled for that photo or that group.

More
09 Jan 2012 03:51 #4 by crystalcross
I'll look into a partial re-write to allow you to enable or disable comments on a per album or per image level.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2012 03:47 - 09 Jan 2012 03:47 #5 by Steven Matrix

crystalcross wrote: Unfortunately there really isn't. I wish there were, but it would require a re-write of that section. The reason being that the way that the forums are being used for commenting is really a kludge. The Multimedia areas have the ability to "Comments" to the media items. In an attempt to make the images and videos more forefront, I tweaked the multimedia system to trick it into sending the comments into the forums instead. So, I'm a bit limited with how much that can be modified.

I fully agree, and think SOMETHING has to be done with how the commenting works. I'm just trying to find the best short term solution.

On the down side, if we switch to an alternate commenting system, the tie of existing comments to their images would be lost. The forum posts would still be there, they would just not tie to the photos any longer.

OK, I get it. We don't want the comments to be lost. I move that we start a new forum entitled "Take My Orbs Please". Lol.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 03:47 by Steven Matrix.

More
09 Jan 2012 03:43 #6 by crystalcross
Unfortunately there really isn't. I wish there were, but it would require a re-write of that section. The reason being that the way that the forums are being used for commenting is really a kludge. The Multimedia areas have the ability to "Comments" to the media items. In an attempt to make the images and videos more forefront, I tweaked the multimedia system to trick it into sending the comments into the forums instead. So, I'm a bit limited with how much that can be modified.

I fully agree, and think SOMETHING has to be done with how the commenting works. I'm just trying to find the best short term solution.

On the down side, if we switch to an alternate commenting system, the tie of existing comments to their images would be lost. The forum posts would still be there, they would just not tie to the photos any longer.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2012 03:21 #7 by Steven Matrix

crystalcross wrote: I have a question. I've heard mention several times that its not exactly desired that all photos and videos create an associated forum entry when viewed or when comments are made on it. Currently the comment engine for the media areas is the forum.

We have the option to move the comments out of the forums and separate the two. I would like to have everyone answer this poll with their opinion of how they would prefer it to be.

To give a few PRO's and CON's to having them on the forums:

PRO's:
A twitter notice is sent when a new picture/video is viewed.
You can create a threat and see it in the latest comments when more comments are made.
There is a handy notice when new comments are created.

CON's:
A blank message is created when someone views the image or video as a placeholder.
It does tend to create a lot of forum posts.

You know me CC; I'm not incredibly computer ejamacated. That being said, I'll ask some questions to see if it's possible that you can tweak the program a certain way:
1) I was playing with my photo albums today and doing some house cleaning/organizing and my photos ended up on the discussion forum. The folks have seen my photos many times and I don't want people to get sick of seeing them on the forum. They have the chance to look at them in my albums. Is it possible for me [after site tweak] to upload my photos into an album without people seeing it on the discussion forum? Or can there be an option where we upload a photo and have an option button to click that sends it to the discussion forum if we so choose?
2) For those who post multiple photos, is there a way to tweak the system where all of the photos go into one album [already doing that I think] and there is only one post for all photos in the discussion forum? I for one don't like multiple photos being uploaded as it generates separate discussion threads. This can take up an entire page or more for multiple photos which, in most cases, are more of an investigative/location shot that we could have the choice of viewing in an album if we so desire rather than searching for content in the forum that we feel is of more interest.

Just wondering.

More
09 Jan 2012 02:58 #8 by crystalcross
I have a question. I've heard mention several times that its not exactly desired that all photos and videos create an associated forum entry when viewed or when comments are made on it. Currently the comment engine for the media areas is the forum.

We have the option to move the comments out of the forums and separate the two. I would like to have everyone answer this poll with their opinion of how they would prefer it to be.

To give a few PRO's and CON's to having them on the forums:

PRO's:
A twitter notice is sent when a new picture/video is viewed.
You can create a threat and see it in the latest comments when more comments are made.
There is a handy notice when new comments are created.

CON's:
A blank message is created when someone views the image or video as a placeholder.
It does tend to create a lot of forum posts.

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds

Features