Login

Videos

Going "Old School"

More
09 Dec 2011 02:06 #1 by crystalcross
Replied by crystalcross on topic Re: Going "Old School"
I just think there's room for both. There is certainly something to be said for old school non-technical methods. But there is also room for new tech. I think much of it really has to do with who's using the tools and how much experience they have with it.

That cam be said for both the instruments of divinity, and the oracles of tech.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2011 04:02 #2 by amoonwolfe
Replied by amoonwolfe on topic Re: Going "Old School"
that depends entirely on the training and reliability of the Dowser. My father taught mr very well to make the rods work with and for me. They have never failed me, unlike the overpriced under-reliable techno-gadgets out there. Obviously your're skeptical because you lack the skill to use dowsing rods successfully. Stick with your teck and good luck to you.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2011 14:31 #3 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: Going "Old School"

Mark Shadley wrote: Please do not think I am being too critical of other ways to investigate the paranormal. I am in agreement that too many groups have gotten into this field and bought the "toys" to emulate their favorite para-celebs without ever understanding the equipment they purchase. They just set it up without any understanding and think every strange reading they get is proof of a ghost. You must understand the equipment to use it. Just as you would dowsing rods. I don't know the first thing about them (dowsing rods) and the only thing I do know is what I have seen in research.

I am with you about wanting to see more truth in the field of paranormal research along with critical thinking.

I do not mean to belittle anyone at all for using other methods that I would never use. If I came across that way, I owe you all an apology. I am truly sorry.

No need for apologies Mark. You didn't come across in a negative way at all. That's why we're all here, for good discussion.

More
06 Dec 2011 13:41 #4 by crystalcross
No need to apologize here! That's what its all about, good debate to find commonality and differences. After all, if we don't know where we all sit within the giant picture, how can we ever hope to come together.

• Mark Shadley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2011 05:12 #5 by Mark Shadley
Replied by Mark Shadley on topic Re: Going "Old School"
Please do not think I am being too critical of other ways to investigate the paranormal. I am in agreement that too many groups have gotten into this field and bought the "toys" to emulate their favorite para-celebs without ever understanding the equipment they purchase. They just set it up without any understanding and think every strange reading they get is proof of a ghost. You must understand the equipment to use it. Just as you would dowsing rods. I don't know the first thing about them (dowsing rods) and the only thing I do know is what I have seen in research.

I am with you about wanting to see more truth in the field of paranormal research along with critical thinking.

I do not mean to belittle anyone at all for using other methods that I would never use. If I came across that way, I owe you all an apology. I am truly sorry.

More
06 Dec 2011 02:50 #6 by crystalcross
Well, to bring it all back together into a more uniform theme, I think personally there is room for both schools of thought. If we use just one method (whatever that method be) and one school of thought, then we will always go down the same roads and perhaps miss that dusty trail which holds the treasures found only in legends.

If all investigators follow their own beliefs and methodologies for finding evidence, and yet it all still points to something being there... Well then there will be power in the mere fact that the evidence transcended any single path and was found in all.

I think its good that all the various investigators focus on the goal in their own way, and then we all still come together. You don't always have to believe or agree with everything that everyone does or the way they do it. But in the end, a positive in all the disciplines will equate to overwhelming odds.

Just my 3.14159268 cents worth. Anyone care for a slice?

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2011 23:27 #7 by Steven Matrix

Mark Shadley wrote: I would agree that many of the "gadgets" used today were never intended to be used by paranormal investigators. However, I think those "gadgets" might have some validity when it comes to documenting the environment. We can ultimately use this information to make real informed opinions.

With respect to dowsing rods as a reliable "gadget", I have seen too many instances where they have been shown to be ineffective and subject to the handlers input.

That's why you have to be very careful when using them; otherwise, they will be subject to the handlers' input. I believe that they are more effective than any high tech equipment used by paranormal groups. That's because I'm not into the investigative side of the paranormal as much. Think of it this way, if you're somewhere where the spirits come from several centuries ago, they're not going to know what today's high tech equipment is. Give them something they've seen before, and you just might be able to communicate.

It's also very possible that people believe in the high tech equipment because of today's most popular TV shows. Honestly, the popular TV shows aren't a good guide on what to do when communicating with the other side. Just my 2 cents.

With respect to making real informed opinions based on some validity of the "gadgets", an opinion is all that will result; but the facts will likely still be non-existent. I for one would like to see more truth in the paranormal with less opinions. Will any of us find it? Only time will tell.

• Mark Shadley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2011 22:36 #8 by Mark Shadley
Replied by Mark Shadley on topic Re: Going "Old School"
I would agree that many of the "gadgets" used today were never intended to be used by paranormal investigators. However, I think those "gadgets" might have some validity when it comes to documenting the environment. We can ultimately use this information to make real informed opinions.

With respect to dowsing rods as a reliable "gadget", I have seen too many instances where they have been shown to be ineffective and subject to the handlers input.

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2011 03:15 #9 by Steven Matrix

amoonwolfe wrote: The gadgets are cute, but no where near as reliable as they should be for the cost involved. As a result, I have gone back to the basics switching to good old fashioned Dowsing Rods and other basic low-to-no-tech methods. The results have been heartening and I urge you to compare the qualitative results for yourself.

Well said. The high tech gadgets are not intuitive and are not as accurate as dowsing rods or pendulums IMHO.

More
11 Nov 2011 01:54 #10 by Tresses Of Nephthys
For one thing, dowsing rods don't have to be set to "airplane mode."
The following user(s) said Thank You: amoonwolfe

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds

Features