Login

Videos

SVP T718 FULL SPECTRUM HD video camcorder.

More
07 Jan 2012 04:29 #1 by WeAllShine
I got the SVP HD videocamera last Christmas (2010), and it has become my most valued equipment, without question. After fretting way too much about which type of lighting to use, I now have settled on an infrared flood only. The full Spectrum floods are WAY too bright for investigating, and may even overpower or drown-out any UV anomolies that (in my experience), give off their own energy. While the video image quality is about what you'd expect from a tiny fixed-focus lens like this, I don't care: Rarely do I even shoot video with it these days, as I have had such fantastic results using it for photographs, in the 3 burst mode exclusively. I have had many anomilies show up in one or two of the frames, then-poof! gone. Very cool stuff for sure. Wish I had a few more of these bad boys!!! A must-have!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2011 13:22 #2 by undertaker1
Awsome equipement, i also have the led f;ashlight. I purchased a Bell&Howell HD 900. This is also lightweight, has night vision infared, motion detection, and still pic capability. Very nice recorder ut needs a ir device for better qulity night vision. This also has audio and usb ports. I have used it in house investigations but not outside due to low ir so once i get another ir device for it i think tthis camera will be a gret buy as well.

More
05 Jun 2011 09:53 #3 by Extralien
Hi all,

First post on this site and it's about the SVP T718 FULL SPECTRUM HD video camcorder.

I have recently purchased one of these and am rather impressed with it, although it does have its small little issues.

Firstly, it is very lightweight, very easy to operate and is great for left or right handed people due to the location of its operational controls.

A brief look at its stats;
BIG 3" Display!
1080p (1440x1080) Wide Display
Video w/sound (MOV)
Still Photos (JPEG)
Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
No Internal Memory
Up to 32 GB SD Card Compatible
HDMI cable included
TV Out cable
Pouch
USB cable
Wrist Strap
Tripod Mountable

The .MOV files play nicely with VLC media player on windows OS but is usually associated with quicktime on Apple systems.

I've installed a 32GB SD card into mine and gives approximately 13 hours of recording ability. The battery can be easily upgraded if you know the battery number. The supplied battery which I recieved had no ID numbers on it. After a bit of running around on the net I discovered that the only people who supply identical batteries for this camera are Moditronic, but they wont dispatch to international places... So I had fun trying to discover which battery it is.. but finally manged it and now know that there is a plentiful supply of spare batteries for this starting at about 2GBpounds. I guess that's around 5 USdollars. The best battery I've seen has 1930MaH and sells for about 10GBpounds.

I could tell you which battery number it is, but why spoil the fun :)

I am still getting used to using the camera and have been testing it to get to know how to use it properly. There is very little information about it online. The manual I received on the CD ROM was not exactly full of information. It fails to tell you important things, such as, if the red charge light constantly flashes that your battery is completely dead and needs replacing as it wont recharge... ho-hum..

I have recently bought some new extra lights in order to test which is best. Some of the lights may be more useful in different circumstances so this will be a trial and error thing.

I have two types of IR light... both are amazing.
The first is very cheap and very, very effective with this camera and is ideal for use in houses and/or confined locations.
This is it;

It's a 12 LED torch that takes 3 AAA batteries and actually gives a lot of IR light for its size.
I paid nearly 5USdollars for it on ebay.. I would post the link to it but for some reason an edit has been made and the seller is asking 96USdollars right now...think its a typo.. maybe :unsure:

The next IR light I've just received and need to test in the field seems to have great range.. up to 75'.

Compatible with all pro and consumer standard and HD camcorders
Built-in diffuser for uniform lighting
Effective distance of illumination 10'-75' / 3m - 23m (approx)
50,000 hours average life
Video bracket with light and tripod mounts included
Light up the night with 36 bright infrared LEDs
Safe to touch-dose not get hot
Works with standard 4x3 and 16x9 formats
USB charging cable to charge from computer USB port
Charge status indicators-red = charging, green = done
New patent pending interlocking design
comes complete with;
AC charger (power plug with USB output port)
Input: AC110-240V 50/60Hz
Output: DC5V +/- 0.20V, DC500mA +/-30mA
USB charging cable
Video bracket with light and tripod mounts
Bulit-in Lithiu-ion Battery
User manual

I am yet to make a movie using this light and with my new UV light too. I do have a test video using the first listed IR torch and a UV torch.

Moving onto the UV lights, I now have two types.
One is an LED torch, the other is a fluorescent tube 'money checker'.
Tubes are said to give off a far better form of UV light than LED's and incandescent bulbs.
This is the torch;

41 LED UV Ultra-Violet Light
Can act as money detector
UV LEDs light burn life of around 100000 hours
2 mode operation: Press on/off button ONCE - 21 LED mode, Press on/off button TWICE - 41 LED mode
Also suitable for Self Safety, cycling, caving, climbing, camping, biking, exploring and outdoors activities.
Aluminum Body and Rust proof
Extreme cool looking and handy
Waterproof and Shock Resistant
Use 4* AAA Battery
Size: 14.3 x 5.3 cm
Weight: 230g

Available from around 6GBpounds

This is the new UV tube light;

Also available from around 6GBPounds and fits in your pocket.

Going back to the camera, it too also fits in a shirt pocket so that will give you an idea as to the exact size of it. Comes in a very neat pouch too.

The downside of this camera is its lack of options on the cameras menu. I would very much like to remove a few icons from the 3" screen to reduce glare and to save battery life, and there is a slightly annoying beeping as you power it up or use certain menu controls. I am yet unable to find any firmware upgrades for the camera, but you can only hope...

As you film with this camera you will notice that you appear to be up to a meter closer to objects when filming in 1080p and about half a meter closer when in 720p modes.. Why this is I have no idea but you will become aware of this as you get to use the camera and you will need to adjust your filming positions to compensate but in small places this may become a bit of an issue...

Overall, i am impressed with the camera and its abilities, ease of use and lack of weight.
The paranormal investigative world seems to be heading more for the full spectrum side of things now as we progress with our understanding, techniques and new technology so I do recommend this camera, even though I've not tried others...

To get an idea of what to expect with this camera I made a video when I first obtained it and used my IR and UV torches in the dark. I will be doing a new video sometime soon where I will test out the new lights I have and see how they fare against each other and work out their best possible uses.
Here is the test vid I made, with an update to follow later.

Obviously, any questions, please feel free to ask :) I'll do my best to answer :)

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds

Features