Login

Videos

× Welcome to the Ghosts & Haunts Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Newbie here

More
22 Sep 2011 03:58 #1 by shanwvr88
Replied by shanwvr88 on topic Re: Newbie here
Welcome to our paranormal family! I'm excited for you going on your first investigation. I remember my first and it was so exciting. I agree you definitely need to try to stay skeptical and also keep your wits about you. Try to stay as calm as possible take in everything you possibly can about your surroundings when u get there. Keep track in your mind of any sounds or outside lights, etc so that if u hear or see something is there a possibility to debunk it based on your observations of the area. I wish u the very best of luck and have a really great time! Can't to see and hear anything u do catch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2011 03:52 #2 by zookeeper
Replied by zookeeper on topic Re: Newbie here
Ok I have a compass already, that is awesome..thanks!! I'm a believer, but skeptic of everything claimed paranormal.. I truely think there are logical answers to some things.. my husband is 100% skeptic, but many unexplained things happen in our own home to cause him to believe..
:)

More
21 Sep 2011 02:38 #3 by Chris1GCPI
Replied by Chris1GCPI on topic Re: Newbie here
Hello & Welcome!

Things you could bring, borrow, or buy cheap for you first investigation: Flashlight, Digital recorder and a compass. You can bring your phone(s), but do put them in "Airplane Mode". Cell phones will make anyone near by you with an EMF detector give a false reading. Go to Wal-Mart and get a plain old compass for a few bucks. They are the original EMF detector. The needle will spin wildly around a high EMF field.
I understand you are a skeptic, but try to go with an open mind and enjoy the experience. You, are a great tool. Use your senses, sight, sound, smell, etc.
Good Luck!

More
21 Sep 2011 01:32 #4 by zookeeper
Replied by zookeeper on topic Re: Newbie here
Thank you for your reply! I do know of a digital recorder I can borrow.. and I'm already somewhat skeptic.. I think I will enjoy the challenges of.trying to debunk everything!
I have a digital camera I'm trying to get repaired before the investigation. I was only going to do the iovilus because I have a spare iPhone and have had a few interesting things happen with it in my own home.. but I don't want to do too much on my first night out so I will focus on evps..
Thanks so Much! I'm so excited, I've wanted to do this for years!

More
20 Sep 2011 23:25 #5 by Wes_Forsythe
Replied by Wes_Forsythe on topic Re: Newbie here
Well I wouldn't bring out the iphone aps for your first investigation. I am not saying there is nothing to them (don't know...ain't got) but I don't think they would considered "the basics" by anyone.

The one thing I would recommend that you beg, borrow, or steal is a digital recorder (tape recorder second choice). Recording for EVP is both a basic and often rewarding activity. The first time you hear a voice that you recorded yourself you will be hooked. Just be sure to tag your audio anytime you hear or make a "non-paranormal" noise. You can even use it to document your excursion through narratives throughout the night.

If you don't have a decent camera you can use the camera on your phone to document your night also. Do not think of it as a tool to capture evidence. That type of camera will undboubtedly produce a billion dust orbs, and the relatively slow shutter speed will give you lots of blurry "what is that" photos. Just take a picture or two of where you are and what you are doing.

But equipment aside, the most important thing is to keep your mind open but try doubly hard to be skeptical at the same time. If you hear a noise, investigate it. If you see a shadow follow it. But just don't fall into the trap of assuming that everything is a ghost...even if the location is haunted there may be lots of situations that can be misinterpretted. "Finding a golf ball in a hen house doesn't automatically make it an egg."

Good luck.

More
20 Sep 2011 22:28 #6 by zookeeper
Newbie here was created by zookeeper
Hi All! My name is Sue and I'm new to investigating. Next week I will be doing my first investigation and was wondering if anyone has any advice for a newbie? The organization I bought my tickets from provides all the equipment, but they do allow you to bring your own, except for video equipment (I'm not sure why)
I have no equipment other than iOvilus on the iphone, and Ghost Radar on my droid. I'm not even sure either of those are actual programs that are acceptable for an investigation. Since I don't belong to a group yet, my funds are limited. My friend is bringing a couple of digital recorders for us to use, and she has a digital camera.

I'd love any advice I can get from experienced investigators! I'm very excited for my first investigation, and would love to know what mistakes I can avoid from others who have been there and done that.. we all have our "firsts" but I would like to go in with some knowledge and make this memorable..

My daughter owns a movie theater and she hears voices there quite often calling her name. She is sure it's being haunted by Buster Keaton. I can't wait to get a chance to try to catch some evidence to support or debunk her experiences.

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds

Features