Login

Videos

Photo 1098

• Steven Matrix
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2012 23:47 - 25 Feb 2012 23:48 #1 by Steven Matrix
Replied by Steven Matrix on topic Re: Photo 1098

crystalcross wrote: I have to admit this image had me stumped for a bit. My initial train of thought was that it had to be moving fairly fast because not only is it in the foreground,but if you look you can faintly see the enomoly moving into the other room and past the opening on the left.

For it to move that quickly it would have had to move at phenomenal speeds!

UNTIL!

I started looking at the EXIF data. EXIF data really tells the whole story. A few key factors to notice is that it was a flash photograph (Flash: fired) and that it was at a low F-Stop setting (3.8) and also and most importantly that the exposure time was 4 SECONDS.

So that means everything we're seeing in this image happened over a 4 second period of time. The program on the camera was a Creative Program of type "Night Scene". Generally those type will fire the flash over a 500ms period with a spread fire, and then keep the exposure going to get the highlight detail.

So lets look at the sequence of events:

1) The flash started firing at T-0000ms.
2) A small bug fairly fast bug was caught in front of the camera on the right, and was startled by the flash.
3) The bug started erratically flying away, perhaps hit something and then zoomed downward and into the other room.

As the bug got farther away from the flash you can see it gets dimmer and dimmer. Seems impossible until you remember that it all took place over 4 seconds. Count "1 one-thousand... 2 one-thousand"... and see how long that really is. Plenty of time for a bug to make its mad dash.

CC, if the camera was set to "Night Scene", then it's very possible that the camera defaulted to rear curtain sync; which would cause the light trail behind the moving object. Rear curtain sync, or 2nd curtain sync, is used in low light and helps to expose the low light scene better.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2012 23:48 by Steven Matrix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2012 22:25 #2 by mcprs
Replied by mcprs on topic Re: Photo 1098
Thanks for letting me know about all that stuff guys. Informative.

More
25 Feb 2012 16:41 #3 by BHPI Josh
Replied by BHPI Josh on topic Re: Photo 1098
I actually have a whole series of pictures like this from when I was really heavily into photography in college. Creating light trails like that is fairly easy to do and can happen easily without trying. Especially with that long shutter speed.

More
25 Feb 2012 15:31 #4 by crystalcross
Replied by crystalcross on topic Re: Photo 1098
The shutter speed gets automatically selected by most cameras. I actually have the exact same camera myself.

As for EXIF data, if you go to the original album, click on the picture in the "Photos" area to bring it up. Along the top over the picture you should see a link to "View Exif Info". Simply click that.

The Exif information is data which is embedded in every picture taken in a digital camera. It describes how the image was taken and generally includes all of the internal camera settings which were manually or automatically selected. Also shows resolution, color depth, all kinds of useful information.

More
25 Feb 2012 15:27 #5 by mcprs
I'm not the one that took this picture but it was with my camera. My camera does have these settings but i had used it both before and after and don't remember is being put on that setting. I generally keep it on auto. I don't even know how to change the shutter speed. How could you see all that info about the picture? Where did you find the EXIF data?

More
25 Feb 2012 15:10 #6 by crystalcross
Replied by crystalcross on topic Photo 1098
I have to admit this image had me stumped for a bit. My initial train of thought was that it had to be moving fairly fast because not only is it in the foreground,but if you look you can faintly see the enomoly moving into the other room and past the opening on the left.

For it to move that quickly it would have had to move at phenomenal speeds!

UNTIL!

I started looking at the EXIF data. EXIF data really tells the whole story. A few key factors to notice is that it was a flash photograph (Flash: fired) and that it was at a low F-Stop setting (3.8) and also and most importantly that the exposure time was 4 SECONDS.

So that means everything we're seeing in this image happened over a 4 second period of time. The program on the camera was a Creative Program of type "Night Scene". Generally those type will fire the flash over a 500ms period with a spread fire, and then keep the exposure going to get the highlight detail.

So lets look at the sequence of events:

1) The flash started firing at T-0000ms.
2) A small bug fairly fast bug was caught in front of the camera on the right, and was startled by the flash.
3) The bug started erratically flying away, perhaps hit something and then zoomed downward and into the other room.

As the bug got farther away from the flash you can see it gets dimmer and dimmer. Seems impossible until you remember that it all took place over 4 seconds. Count "1 one-thousand... 2 one-thousand"... and see how long that really is. Plenty of time for a bug to make its mad dash.

More
24 Feb 2012 17:47 #7 by Peek-A-Boo
Replied by Peek-A-Boo on topic Re: Photo 1098

mcprs wrote: I don't know if i would call it an entity. Its just unknown.

LOL, OK, the white thingy :-)

More
24 Feb 2012 17:39 #8 by mcprs
No problem I was just trying to give more detail.

More
24 Feb 2012 17:35 #9 by mcprs
I don't know if i would call it an entity. Its just unknown.

More
24 Feb 2012 17:17 #10 by Peek-A-Boo
Replied by Peek-A-Boo on topic Re: Photo 1098
by no means am I doubting you. :kiss: Just stating what I am feeling. I would think that if it was an entity you would also see through it, the wall or door frame. I am no expert and just questioning, the only way for me to learn :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds

Features