Login

Videos

Memorial Day Weekend Reflection 2011

More
30 May 2011 23:17 #1 by crystalcross
A moment for the fallen...
A salute to the surviving...
A cheer to those serving as we speak...
A voice of solidarity to the families of all of the above...

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2011 23:00 #2 by sixsense
I thank our soldiers, men and women everyday. I know a lot of vets and some that are still serving. My dad was a medic in WWII, and he told us many horrors story. My heart goes out to those who are home and are facing difficulties. As said many times before, I wish I could help everyone. But I will help with my love and support...God Bless them all!

More
30 May 2011 18:19 #3 by LeslieAValentin
My father was a TSgt in the Air Force during the Vietnam War. He went home to the Lord many years ago now. I was still a child when he died. My brother is in the Air Force and my son was in the Army until a medical discharge. I hold each and every one of you dear to my heart because you made the ultimate sacrifice of defending our nation. THANK YOU!

More
30 May 2011 17:29 #4 by undertaker1
I would like to say thank you for this post. I am a Marine vet and proud to have served our country. Thanks to all of you for thanking vets and active duty members it truely means alot.

More
30 May 2011 16:22 #5 by intuitivegal27
My dad was in the Navy when he was younger and served 4 years. He will be remembered today and forever as a great father and a great soldier! Semper Peratus "Always Ready" :)

• sleepy1md
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 May 2011 16:04 #6 by sleepy1md
Replied by sleepy1md on topic Re: Memorial Day Weekend Reflection 2011
No words except...to all who have fought and died for my freedom...thank you!
Thank you for this Leslie!

More
30 May 2011 00:55 #7 by LeslieAValentin
It's Memorial Day weekend. My friend and I headed out to just enjoy the day that is full of sunshine, warmth, and a nice breeze. The air was pungent with the aroma of BBQ's occurring and children were running around in their yards playing. It is just a genuinely beautiful time to be outside.

While we were waiting to turn onto the highway I noticed two men walking along carrying their dufflebags. You could see their dog tags hanging outside of their tan colored Army issued shirts. However there was a distinct difference. In addition to the obvious, they were also dirty and their hair was longer than the normal that appears with active duty. A tarp was tied to their dufflebags along with several worn looking store bags containing what appeared to be other belongings. Each were cinched to the same cord holding the tarp. The clincher was one man was holding a sign that said will work for shelter. They were homeless.

It broke my heart seeing two men, who were at one point soldiers in the United States Army, now walking along seeking something as simple as shelter. My mind scrambled for logic to this scene. In addition, my carefree mood darkened some as I watched them go along. I teared up.

Many of us have seen the different commercials on television or have heard them on the radio about getting our Veterans assistance to help them with whatever they are struggling with. Perhaps that help may be needed with getting a prosthetic leg or perhaps some mental health counseling for what they have experienced in a war torn land. Regardless of the issue, they served their country and it is a sad day when a soldier doesn't even have a place to lay his head on domestic soil.

My mind reeled back to being a child and hearing about Vietnam Veterans who sought shelter and/or refuge in the Northwest out in the mountains because they couldn't cope with society anymore. The countless numbers of addiction that ran rampant as they struggled with the demons of war. They were soldiers in a war that had backs turned on them until recent times.

You may or may not know someone who has served directly or indirectly. You may think that it is none of your business if you see a description of what I gave in this blog. Perhaps it reaches beyond your comfort zone to reach out and help.

This is Memorial Day Weekend. It is to remember all who have fallen, but also to remember that your freedom isn't free. Someone laid down their life, their mental health, their livelyhood, their relaxing weekend BBQ'ing in order to give you that freedom. And, regardless of whether it is a holiday weekend or any other day of the year, if you see a soldier, at least say "Thank you" to him/her. Let them know you care at least that much.

I pray for those two men I saw today that they can obtain the help they need and to find shelter. I also hold each and every last person serving abroad as well as in the States in my prayers. Each and every last one of them has continued to help protect and defend the country we live in. And, they ask for very little in return. Respect, however, is one thing they should never have to ask for.

Happy Memorial Day.
Stay safe and stand proud!

I close with a prayer written by Gary Jacobson - 1999 entitled: A Combat Soldiers Prayer

A COMBAT SOLDIER'S PRAYER
by Gary Jacobson © 1999

This combat soldier's prayer,
Who has served his time in Hell,
Is may we learn the lessons of war well,
That we not doom future generations,
The same old tales of horror to tell,
To endure what in youth they see mistakenly as glory.
Oh God, do not let our children
Repeat the same old story.

Make it so that America's babies live to grow old
In this land of the free and the bold.
Help us throw off the shackles of hate that bind
And grow old in a life of a peaceful kind.

Teach us that there is no glory in war,
Nor honor there that brave men should not abhor.
Teach us instead, one for another our brothers to love.
Shower us with thine Celestial message from above,
That we plant seeds of peace evermore
And make war-no-more!

But if I should die on some far, far away battlefield
Know I answered the call
For a grand principle of freedom to yield.
My fervent prayer is that death
May not have been in vain
Fighting for peace and right for the world to attain.

My brothers, American roses standing by my side
On alien soil dying
In the summer of my youthful pride
All the leaves around me falling,

Now I’m lying here still, in sunshine and in shadow,
Longing to hear, “brother next door, I love you so."
For moldering in the soft ground below,
I feel you living and loving in the world above me
Standing tall because I fought that you might be...
Oh look ye down now,
And tell me you still think of me
Honor my red blood, spilt that others might stand free.

Tell me that I did not give my all for you in vain
That brothers and sisters do not look upon my sacrifice
With hateful,
Or even worse,
Uncaring disdain.

Do not forget me when my valley’s hushed
And white with snow,
Grass growing green in the summer of my meadow
Help me see the peace I lived and died for grow.

Make my lonely grave richer,
Sweeter be...
Make this truly,
"The land of the free
And the home of the brave,"
I gave my life to save
That I might too, lie eternally,
Forever free...
The following user(s) said Thank You: crystalcross, intuitivegal27, sleepy1md, hometwnbrat

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds

Features