Login

Videos

What to expect in starting a team

More
08 Oct 2011 20:20 #1 by zeptember
yes I agree I hear that from others at times, hehe..if I lived close by I would love to join..be safe out there..:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2011 20:08 #2 by Jersey Paranormal Spirit Society
You're So Right I know People that Are Good At Photography,People That Are Wizards At Computers,And People Who Are Very Mechanically Inclined With Electronics...But When I Ask Them If They Would Be Interested in Joining Its Like No Thanks I dont Believe In That,Or No way To Scary For Me. And Its Hard For Me To Understand.So i Am Still Looking To Expand The Group To Around 8 or 10 People.

More
06 Oct 2011 12:27 #3 by crystalcross
Geeesh Chris, you been reading my diary?!? :lol:

Honestly though, you hit that nail right smack dab on the head. Both of you have.
Many people thing the hardest part of becoming an investigator is finding the places to investigate, gaining access, or buying the equipment. In reality that is the easier part of it.

The administrative portion is the hardest part of the mix. As I've mentioned previously in other posts, it reminds me so much of being in a band. Working around people's schedules, getting help to do the mundane things which need to be done and just managing the various personalities in the group is probably the most daunting task.

I've been a Manager for a good part of my life so at least I've had some experience with the human factor, but its different in a situation where people are not getting paid to be there. You have to employ an entirely different set of skills to manage a group that's there primarily because of a love of the subject matter. Its difficult but also rewarding at times, when things pay off like you said Chris.

I'm thinking as we evolve and progress on this site, my hope is that it can serve as a bit of a place to offload some of the more tedious tasks involved in investigation. I'm working with a few people now to create a case manager suite. So that will hopefully help. Also I envision eventually uploading your raw materials and then assigning groups of individuals (in your group, or in other groups, or non-connected) to review the data. In some cases perhaps 5+ people reviewing the same exact data to get multiple eyes/ears on it. And then as the case manager you can bring it all back together into a united report.

My hope is that we can get to a point where the people with certain strengths can be left to use those strengths, and free up some of their time. Let the investigators investigate. Let those who are great at sifting through evidence and get great joy form it, do that.

I think there is great strength that can come from a community of investigators such as this. It will never completely remove the daunting task of managing personalities and schedules. But maybe we can all make it just a little bit easier.

More
06 Oct 2011 04:51 #4 by Chris1GCPI
Amen to that UT. It's really not all that it's cracked up to be! At sometimes it's like herding cats. Then you have the drama, the people that have transportation issues, their S/O doesn't want them to be gone for a couple days, getting help reviewing evidence! Ugh! Should I continue.
You wonder if it's worth all the trouble until you catch that one or two pieces of amazing evidence or you've helped someone to feel safe in their home again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ST_Dillon

More
06 Oct 2011 00:22 #5 by crystalcross
Wish more people could simply live and let live. World would be so much more peaceful. They had it wrong, non-acceptance is the root of all evil. Mammon is simply a fact of life. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris1GCPI

More
05 Oct 2011 23:17 #6 by Tresses Of Nephthys
I think its just like that, regardless of whether or not you're starting a team. I used to have a friend (well still friends but not BEST friends like we used to be) that did a lot of seances and tromping through graveyards with me. We didn't speak for many years and then caught up with each other about 5 years ago. I never expected to go back to being besties with her, but still thought it was odd how much she blew me off and didn't answer my calls or emails. Then about 2 years ago she called me and told me the reason she hesitated to get close to me again was because of my beliefs (I'm a witch, which is something we'd gotten into together) and that she'd started going back to church. I have no problem at all with her being a Christian. Her practices shouldn't have anything to do with us being friends, but with her it was a sticking point. I just didn't expect and still don't appreciate being discriminated against by someone who used to be one of my best friends, especially one who was in the think of things with me for a long time. Still to this day, in search of another paranormal soul mate :)

More
05 Oct 2011 21:55 #7 by undertaker1
I'm not sure how many of you are interested in starting a team or joining one but this isn't as easy as you might think. As a team owner myself it was to me a very easy task just ask people if they want to join and boom a team is formed. This is not true by any means. Finding local people is the hardest part if your not traveling far away to do investigations and also finding people that you work well with is even more hard. I have finally come along in my team and seem to be getting a great group of talented members but it isn't at all easy. I just wanted to share my experience with you so if you are looking to do the same you don't get frustrated and give up, it takes time just be patient.

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds

Features