Login

Videos

Paranormal: Real, Fad or Game?

More
30 Jan 2012 06:03 #1 by LeslieAValentin
Let's look at "tools" from a different angle.

Regardless of whether it's a Ouija Board, a Scrying Mirror, or something not even attached to spirit communication such as a gun or a knife. If placed into the hands of someone looking for fun and who has no knowledge of how to prepare themselves to use it, the tool can be a dangerous thing.

Obviously anything unused is "safe". However, it only takes one time to fire the bullet or carelessly call upon a spirit to consider it "used".

There are protocols to protect yourself and the doors you open. You can always close the door and purify the tools and area. There is no reason that these procedures can't be taught to people who want to use an Ouija board.

Obviously the 8 to 14 year old girl that a pink Ouija Board is aimed at in marketing strategies is not going to have the understanding to take these protocols. Actually, it really doesn't matter what the age is. There are people who think "Oh cool, let's do it", or they've seen it used in a movie or television show; thus they suddenly know how to properly use it.

I never said that there are people out there who don't take precautions. What I geared the article to be able are those who are enthusiasts; people looking for a thrill or a "wow" of an evening by disregarding the rules with tools or investigations to go looking for something.

And when you add in influence from television shows where people are off alone in a location to ghost hunt, and even use some of these tools (Ouija Boards, etc.) but show no protocols in preparing to use it .... the validity of what many of us do narrows considerably and the rise in entitling something as a fad or game can set in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RXRom, BillyJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2012 03:29 #2 by RXRom
Whether the Ouija board is new or used, I still won't touch the damn thing no matter what. I'll take a tarot reading. Its less threatning.

More
30 Jan 2012 03:13 #3 by tyrstag
Ouija boards are tools. There are protocols to protect yourself and the doors you open. You can always close the door and purify the tools and area. There is no reason that these procedures can't be taught to people who want to use an Ouija board.

I use a bastardized Ouija board. It's actually a "spirit" board. It's circular and I can use it with a pendulum.

I worked in a store that sold Ouija/Spirit boards. There was nothing different about them than any other "game". It's the used ones you come across that have the energy attached.

More
29 Jan 2012 23:49 #4 by LeslieAValentin
Actually,

Even though Ouija boards have been around since the mid-1800's, Hasbro, the toy company who took over the patent, got creative in 2008 by releasing a pink Ouija Board for girls ages 8 to 14 as well as a glow in the dark board.

In 2010, Hasbro, Inc., came under scrutinizing fire by different Christian groups for selling the boards in general promoting "young girls to communicate with the spirits of the dead". Stores such as Toys R Us and Wal-Mart discontinued the sales due to the boycotts against Hasbro.

However, and take note that while I'm writing this, I do not believe they are safe instruments for people to just "play with", nor do I agree that children should have access to them.

After doing some research online today, Toys R Us's website shows that they are selling the Ouija Board: Glow In The Dark edition. FAO Schwarz also carries the Glow In the Dark edition. FAO goes on in the description of the board by saying, " Gather your friends around, draw a card, place your fingers on the planchette and ask your question. Concentrate very hard and watch as the answer is revealed in the message window. Make up your own questions, and let the OUIJA Board satisfy your curiosity in virtually endless ways. OUIJA Board will answer. It's just a game - or is it?"

Who is not selling the Ouija Board? Wal-Mart still continues to not carry any version of the board. Interestingly, Hamley's Toy Store, which is touted to be the largest toy store in the world does not carry the infamous Ouija Board either.

The controversy continues and, rightfully so, it probably will continue since there are so many who view it as a "game".

So, take it with a grain of salt or a spoonful of vinegar.... it seems the general consensus of this particular "tool" is that it is not a widely accepted item to sell. However, with the "rise" of people having bad things happening to them or in their home after using one is probably a clear sign as to why it should not be sold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RXRom, BillyJo

More
29 Jan 2012 22:14 #5 by BillyJo
Dear Gorilla Dave,

You may be dubious about the intentions of demons, I get that. Please know this...whatever attaches itself to that board is not worth the look, even with an experienced user...you are never smarter than the spirit world...Hell, I'm not smarter than a 5th grader but that much I know ;)

HUGS!

Billy.

More
29 Jan 2012 22:11 #6 by spookydave
I remember when I was young my mum told me about some nurses she worked with who had a go at a board. To cut to the chase, one of them ended up in a mental institution. Whilst my mum always tolerated my love of the paranormal, one thing she was always fanatical about was the use of the board. If she got a whiff of me ever considering using one, she would go thermo nuclear!

More
29 Jan 2012 21:48 #7 by grandmaducky
i wouldn't even use it then dave

More
29 Jan 2012 21:35 #8 by Peek-A-Boo
spookydave, due to the popularity of all in paranormal shows here in the USA Ouija/Spirit boards are in every game aisle in every store that sells toys. Some freakin toy :angry:

More
29 Jan 2012 21:34 #9 by grandmaducky
very true

More
29 Jan 2012 21:28 #10 by spookydave
Being from the UK it's quite astounding that you can buy these freely from Toys' r Us, so I guess that speaks volumes about this country views things like that. Personally, whilst I'm a little bit dubious about them in terms of opening a doorway to spirit, demons etc, there's no way in hell that I would use one except in the presence of an experienced user, as I've heard too many unpleasant tales.

Time to create page: 0.404 seconds

Features