Login

Videos

× Welcome to the Ghosts & Haunts Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Chip Coffey's "Growing Up Psychic"

More
03 Jul 2011 23:13 #1 by suzq2u
I understand the excitement of getting your work in print, but somehow it seems so wrong not to get compensated for it. But then, I'm not a writer and I don't understand alot of what goes on in that world lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2011 23:08 #2 by suzq2u
Well, like I said, I know nothing of the writing industry. It just sounded kind of odd to me although o have read books with contributing authors. I just wasn't sure of the legalities. But you are right, I guess it's kind of a crap shoot when you get involved in collaborations unless everything is crystal clear.

More
03 Jul 2011 22:52 #3 by hometwnbrat
i thought it was common sense that people did that! im very sure that the people involved that are going to written about in the book have knowledge that their story or stories will be in a book!

More
03 Jul 2011 22:44 #4 by giftedorcrazy
Most of the time there is no compensation. It's very common for books to include stories from outside parties...it makes it much more interesting to the reader and many people are thrilled just to be included. Many times you don't even get a free copy of the book however.

There was a famous story of a kid who signed over her photo in Australia at an event and eventually it was used in a nationwide ad campaign. For which she was paid nothing. It's great to collaborate and contribute to important works (as I'm sure Chip's will be) but I just never sign sweeping things like that.

More
03 Jul 2011 22:41 #5 by giftedorcrazy
I do book and business PR.

More
03 Jul 2011 22:16 #6 by Tresses Of Nephthys

suzq2u wrote: I think your advice is very sound :) I guess I'm kind of bothered about the whole idea of a book put together by someone who's content is not his own. Not meaning to sound negative, but to me it just sounds like Chip Coffey is going to be making money off of other people. Is this protocol in the writing industry? Maybe I'm just out of the loop lol.

I'm going to *hope* that those who make it into the book will receive some sort of compensation. I haven't read the fine print so I have no idea if there is or not. Being the dork that I am, I have read the entire US copyright law, and since much of my own experiences are going into my own work, and the kiss of death is being accused of plagiarizing, AND I would not want to be accused of plagiarizing myself, I will keep my work for myself. So read the fine print. I do think this book will be helpful for teenagers who are coming to grips with their abilities, but that will be entirely up to YOU whether you want someone else to have your story.

More
03 Jul 2011 22:05 #7 by suzq2u
I think your advice is very sound :) I guess I'm kind of bothered about the whole idea of a book put together by someone who's content is not his own. Not meaning to sound negative, but to me it just sounds like Chip Coffey is going to be making money off of other people. Is this protocol in the writing industry? Maybe I'm just out of the loop lol.

More
03 Jul 2011 21:28 #8 by giftedorcrazy
I'm not saying don't share it. I'm saying know what you're signing over the rights to when you share it, maybe that makes more sense. Every story you give him then becomes copyrighted under his name, not yours. You might not be able to use your own story in your own book! That's all. :)

More
03 Jul 2011 21:21 #9 by Tresses Of Nephthys
Thanks for the encouragement!

More
03 Jul 2011 20:53 #10 by crystalcross

TressesOfNephthys wrote: Just for future reference. Never know when I may need one :cheer:

Whoo-hoo! You go!!! Let me know when you publish, I'll buy!

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds

Features